- "Combining accuracy, maneuverability, firepower and low recoil, this is an extremely versatile assault rifle for any combat situation."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
Design and Performance
The Carbine is visually based on the Heckler & Koch G36C. The handguard is a similar size and shape to that of the G36C, but the vent holes are lower down that of the H&K, meaning space for 6 instead of 2 per side. The picatinny rail carry handle is more linear than those of the G36 family, but is derived from the G36C variant. The assault rifle features a pistol grip with three thumb grooves, unlike any German assault rifle in production in 2013. The magazine's shape is rectangular, inspired by 7.62 Galil variant's magazines. Instead of the G36's ambidextrous charging handle that lies flush with the body, the Special Carbine has a charging handle that juts out on both sides of the weapon in the same location. On the enhanced editions, it erroneously has ejection ports on both sides of the weapon.
Chambered in 5.56mm, the weapon has very high damage per second, equal to that of the Gusenberg Sweeper, meaning higher than the Carbine Rifle and Assault Rifle (higher damage per shot), but lower than the Advanced Rifle (lower rate of fire) and both the MG (lower damage per shot) and Combat MG (lower damage per shot and rate of fire in RPM). Accuracy is high, equal to that of the Carbine Rifle. While very powerful and accurate the Special Carbine has slightly less effective range than other assault rifles, which can limit its effectiveness at longer ranges, though its accuracy somewhat makes up for this.
In GTA Online, it is unlocked immediately unlike other assault rifles/carbines which have rank requirements.
- Default clip (30 rounds) - Equipped by default
- Rounds x60
- Extended clip (60 rounds)
- Black tint - Equipped by default
- Army tint
- Green tint
- Orange tint
- LSPD tint
- Pink tint- Rank 50
- Gold tint- Rank 75
- Platinum tint- Rank 100
- While it is aesthetically based on the H&K G36C (which is the short-barreled, Compact, variant with an 8" barrel), it looks like it's actually the size of the H&K G36KV (kurz variante, "Short Variant" in German), which is the carbine variant of the G36 family.
- The front sight is very different than that of the actual G36C's, in that it lacks the circular, round front sights seen in other Heckler & Koch weapons such as the MP5 and HK416.
- The fact that it has a squared magazine instead of the usual, curved translucent polymer magazine is fairly odd, as 5.56mm magazines greater than 20 rounds are usually curved to facilitate feeding, decrease the weapons profile and reduce jams.
- The magazine of the weapon also resembles that of the H&K G3, the G36's predecessor.