Suffolk is a seven-block neighborhood in Algonquin, Liberty City. It is located in Downtown Algonquin, bordered by Union Drive West to the west (Castle Garden City), Garnet Street to the north (The Meat Quarter and The Triangle), Columbus Avenue to the east (Lower Easton), and Feldspar Street and Frankfort Avenue to the south (Little Italy).
Character and influences
It is a very rich and affluent neighborhood, based on SoHo, New York City. The district is characterized by its low-rise cast iron buildings (based on many real-life counterparts in SoHo). And like neighboring Little Italy, a number of Suffolk's streets are constructed from cobblestone, similar to certain streets in SoHo. "Suffolk" is also the name of a county in Long Island, New York state. It is also the name of a county in England.
The neighborhood is served by the Liberty City Subway system. The Suffolk station, located at the intersection of Garnet Street and Denver-Exeter Avenue, is served by the K/C Algonquin Inner Line. The station is popular as it is located directly underneath the Rotterdam Tower.
Points of interest
- Jeff's third and final random character mission is located in Suffolk, at Denver Avenue and Feldspar Street, bordering Little Italy.
- Another of the random characters, Sara, is located in front of a Didier Sachs at Back Passage in Suffolk.
- A moderately large LCPD station at Frankfort Avenue and Feldspar Street. The station is a complex of two buildings, one smaller structure facing Frankfort Avenue, and a larger, newer 8/9 storey building fronting Feldspar Street. The newer extension appears to be similar in design to the skyscraper housing Jerkov's in Hatton Gardens. Skeletal remains of an older building may also be spotted at the western side of the complex.
- Suffolk Church, at Liberty Lane in west Suffolk, where the funeral of one of the McReary brothers (either Francis or Derrick) is held and where Roman and Mallorie wed at the end of the game (which leads to another death, depending on the player's choice). The church comes complete with an interior accessible only in cutscenes during the missions, as well as a small cemetery in the rear. Both the church and cemetery are deemed as "endangered" landmarks threatened with demolition for the construction of condos.
- As an easter-egg, said church above is also seen in Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. GTA III features a small cemetery in the rear as does Liberty City Stories.