IMPORTANT - Images
In this article, and all other articles relating to Grand Theft Auto V, the official GTA Wiki: Image Policy is going to be enforced ruthlessly. All images must be uploaded to the precise and specific letter of the image policy or they will be deleted. If the image is uploaded to the wrong name, deleted. If the image is uploaded with an improper usage rationale, or with no rationale at all, deleted. If the image is uploaded without an accompanying statement as to where the uploading user obtained the image, deleted. Jeff (talk|stalk) 18:40, November 3, 2011 (UTC)
- Can we have a vote on this because I don't agree, I think deleting them is a bit of an extreme first step. Also I re-uploaded the images I added, which you deleted, saying that I made the images myself but once I uploaded them nothing appeared, I'm not really sure what went wrong. Tom Talk 18:43, November 3, 2011 (UTC)
- I think the whole policy itself needs a major discussion, as some of us agree with it and some of us don't.
- We finally got rid of the "Competence is Required" ruling, so people do not feel they're editing on thin ice with their edits. Now I think it might be time to revamp the whole Image Policy. Dan the Man 1983 19:10, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
I think it could very well be Claude from GTA III. In San Andreas he was probably in his twenties, in GTA III in his thirties, and now in his forties which seems to fit. Tommy Vercetti would be too old now I think. Sonny Black (Talk) 17:14, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Tommy would be 60, since its obviously a modern setting, so thats a definite no. It's possible it could be Claude but I don't think it is, they tend to start the GTA Universe all over, except City names and cars etc., when they start a new era so I thinks it's unlikely. Tom Talk 17:17, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
You make a good point. But If I remember correctly, in GTA IV there were some references to characters from the GTA III era. Also, earlier this year there was a casting list released which included characters from San Andreas. Sonny Black (Talk) 17:25, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
- In GTA IV there was writing on a few walls, nothing else. Could you give me a link to the casting list. I'd like a few GTA III Era characters to return but I really doubt that will happen since this is a new era. Tom Talk 17:30, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
Apparantly, a character which presented the radio program 'The Wild Traveler' in San Andreas is reintroduced in GTA V.
- It's this character: James Pedeaston. --Sonny Black (Talk) 18:21, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
- No, gusseing the circumstances im gonna assume Jame Pedaston would be an antagonist at best, the protagonist mentioned he had kids so i gusse he would be cautious around Pedaston for obvious reasons Casecr 00:28, November 3, 2011 (UTC)
The man in the screen capture looks a slight bit like Johnny from the Lost and Damned. I think it could be his older brother Michael, an army captain who at the time of TLAD is 39. The mystery man looks like hes in his early forties, and in the trailer, he never claims he was a criminal, so perhaps he's putting an end to his military career and settling down in Los Santos. Any thoughts or arguements?
- No, its a new GTA Era so there won't be any characters from previous games, its not him and it looks nothing like Johnny. Tom Talk 21:42, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
That's a good point, I didn't know Rockstar announced that all GTA 4 references will be wiped. It certainly eliminates any ideas for who the man could be. I would still argue that the man has resembles Johnny, but of course that makes no point now.
- There will still be a few references but probably just a few names on walls like GTA IV had, and I don't see any resemblance to Johnny. Tom Talk 10:24, November 6, 2011 (UTC)
How do we know that he is the protagonist?
The teaser trailer never implied he was? We don't even know if the trailer is actual gameplay. Sliderkk 20:19, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
- Salvatore Leone was the narrator in one of GTA III's trailer, here's the YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkreaJIpxw, so maybe it's their bog standard way of doing it.White&Gold 19:44, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
- A Caucasian narrorator with a unnamed man that is also Caucasian whom appears multiple times in the trailer? Just please use logic. Slowrider7 11:31, November 3, 2011 (UTC)
- oh yeah rockstar just got a random NPC to narrate the trailer for what very well could be the biggest game in histroy
There is no such thing as logic when it comes to a Wiki. It is either fact or speculation. This page should be labelled speculation because at the moment, no one but Rockstar knows who the protagonist is. Saying that you know for sure just using logic is not how Wiki works. You need fact. Don't get me wrong, I think he could be the protagonist but it's just speculation on my part and everyone else.
--Raadec 11:51, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
He could very well be a major charactor in the story and not the protagonist. Until rock star actually confirms who the protagonist is, this page should be labeled as speculation (if that is possible). Cbriggs108 14:50, November 6, 2011 (UTC)
Multiple Protagonist Rumor....
So I Was Watching The Trailer For About The 157th Time When I Decided To Look For Clues, And I Found That There Is A Second Recurring Character.
Note That The Second Picture Is From The Car Chase Late In The Trailer, And It Looked As If It Was Player Controlled, So This Multiple Protagonist Rumor Might Be Real After All...Or Not, But Whatever. I'll Let You Guys Know If I Find Any Other Interesting Things :D Dark|Shadow|Sword 21:19, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
Firstly you don't need to start every word with a capital letter. Secondly right now this is just a rumor and the trailer only had dialogue from one person, the known protagonist, it explained his background so its likely he's the only protagonist, this guy might be a character in the game but I'm not sure that the fact he appears twice means anything. Tom Talk 23:01, November 4, 2011 (UTC)
well there is another pic that i think may also be him, but its blurry.
- I agree with the speculation that there is more then one protagonist in this game. Which is why I have added the information back in. We'll know for sure when other trailers and information on the game is released. Dan the Man 1983 18:57, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
- I never intended to add this to the article without permission, i just wanted to share this with you guys. Dark|Shadow|Sword 02:51, November 6, 2011 (UTC)
I know that speculation has no place on a wiki, but this man could o could not be the protaginist. It shows that latino guy a few times as well. But He is the one that is speaking or is he? We will have to wait and see. T-888 17:05, November 6, 2011 (UTC)
- The player is old tommy vercetti you can just tell —Preceding unsigned comment added by Zachguy101 (talk • contribs) Please remember to sign your talk page messages with ~~~~.
Just Fan Speculation
This article is just speculation. That just might me another main character and not the protogonist. The guy overlooking the city looks older than the robber and the guy in the convertible. They might be two diiferent people. They shouldn't make a page on this until we know for sure. Zachmt97 02:33, November 9, 2011 (UTC)
- They look identical, it's obvious that he was the man talking, which strongly suggests that he is the protagonist. Tom Talk 16:38, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
Whatever happened to a female Protagonist?
Or was that a rumor? I would've thought it would've been good as you've played as a mute guy, a middle aged drug lord and a Eastern European (ish) mobster, why not a female Protagonist? Or do you think the guy is a teaser?White&Gold 09:45, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
- It is not going to be a female protagonist it was just an idea one user had, I've never even heard of that rumor. Rockstar will lose the majority of its GTA fanbase if it is and it will cause GTA V to have extremely low sales, if any GTA game has a female protagonist I won't buy it and I can guarentee the majority of GTA fans will feel the same way. Tom Talk 16:36, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
- Why would people not buy it? yeah some people are sexist. Also GTA SA had a black protagonist even though it could have caused low sales due to racist people. In the modern world i dont think people would care if the main character was female it would be a change to see a female protaganist. In summary i think it would not affect sales if there was a female protaganist, i dont think rockstar would make a rubbish annoying female protaganist if they did create one. Basicly i think the modern world would praise rockstar to show a diffrent perspective by having a female protaganist OX--chuckPS3 17:31, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
- It would effect sales, everyone I know would hate to have a female protagonist and I doubt it's just me and my friends who think this. It would be awful, you can't really compare having a black protagonist to having a female protagonist, a black gang member was inevitable and I don't think many people really cared that he was black, people would care about having a woman. I don't consider myself sexist and I don't think people who don't want a female protagonist are sexist, I just don't see a GTA game with a female protagonist working. Tom Talk 18:47, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
Female Protagonist Part II
OK on the last one the edits went all crappy, don't know what happened :S, I think OX makes a valid point, a female protagonist is not as bad as, probably a gay protagonist, maybe some players might find it odd that they're playing as a woman, but c'mon liven up, we're in 2011, times've changed, I don't think GTA would lose fans, they'd probably gain a lot more fans, I kinda thought GTA IV was a bit OTT with Niko, I saw a few months back on MSN's homepage they did a poll on the top (I think) 20 annoying protagonist and Niko was up in there, they said he was old fashioned and a bit wishy washy and difficult to understand.
If you think about it, Saints Row 2 let you play as either a male or female protagonist and look what's happened with it they're releasing a third installment and you can play as a woman then, Tomb Raider had Lara Croft and they've released a lot of games and a couple of films, if all is to be believed that GTA V is gonna be the last GTA in the series why not send it off with a bang, or if they're got a couple more ideas for a game have GTA V with a woman and release GTA VI with a man, if Rockstar is scared of losing fans, they should realise that sometimes you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette, their first 4 games (GTA I, London 1969, 1961 and GTA II) had crappy graphics, GTA III was the first one to include a 3D effect, GTA San Andreas let you customised cars and what the player wore/looked like so a female might not be a bad idea who's with me?White&Gold 19:39, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
- Saints Row gives you the option of playing as a woman, they don't force it on you. I agree that playing as a woman wouldn't be as bad as a gay protagonist but It would lose fans, honestly woemn tend not to play GTA and I don't think they would choose to play it simply because they could play as a woman, it is and awlays will be a male targeted game. Lara Croft was different, that game was nothing like GTA so that point isn't relevant. I don't care if it's 2011, men will always prefer playing as men, unless they are gay and women's places in GTA style video games will always be secondary roles. Tom Talk 20:50, November 10, 2011 (UTC)
I am really disgusted by the comments above. For a start, I really don't see how you can say that 'most' fans would refuse to buy the game if it had a female protagonist. Really? Does it really matter? I didn't really identify with CJ at all, so the storyline wasn't my scene, but I still enjoyed the game loads. Ox is right that race didn't stop people buying San Andreas, IV or TBOGT. I honestly don't think you have to believe you are that character to enjoy the game, especially since there is a lot more to do than just play the storyline missions. I actually think most straight men would enjoy playing as a busty sexy female character, although of course asking them to date men would be a bit too far. I think Lara Croft is very relevant, actually, and Saints Row too. Maybe a GTA with a female character would change things even more. As for "playing as a woman wouldn't be as bad as a gay protagonist" I am honestly disgusted at those comments. So automatically every single heterosexual male is better than every female or non-straight male? That is really the most important thing to you? So even if the game was perfect in every way except the protagonist happened to be gay, you'd never ever play it? What you might not realise is a number of this wiki's previous staff (staff at Grand Theft Wiki) are gay, and they love GTA more than most. Even having to date women in SA and IV didn't put them off. Yes I'm sure some idiots would find it weird but I did not expect to find staff on this wiki spreading hate like that. Your sexist, homophobic, hate-filled comments have lost all my respect for you. Gboyers talk 21:17, November 10, 2011 (UTC)