I personally think it resembles a Harrier Jump Jet.
FREEMAN 19:03, 13 May 2007 (UTC)
thats because it does. (--GTAddict 14:14, 4 July 2009 (UTC))
Let's say you got 6 Wanted stars in SA. The two Hydras try to kill you, but you kill them. Do more come after you once they're destroyed? Montybrady 04:03, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, they spawn like police helicopters.--Spaceeinstein 04:14, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
- Like FLIES more like it, and there hard to swat down. They start coming at you on a four star wanted level if you in an aircraft. --Chimpso 04:16, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks. BTW I fly Hydras, and I can swat them better than they can swat me lol. Montybrady 04:22, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
swatting them is easy. but other people may disagree.(--GTAddict 12:37, 19 July 2009 (UTC))
In all the times I've flown in a hydra jet, I've never been able to get the hover mode off. it's ruined my first impression of the hydra and hover mode is bullshit. also the last time I flown a hydra jet was back in 2007.
- You've never bothered to use the '8' ans '2' keys on the numpad? I can't believe that someone has not even bothered to look at the game's controls to figure out something like this. The Hydra is an amazing vehicle, hovering is harder than using a helicopter though. --Thescarydude 19:42, September 11, 2009 (UTC)
you gotta be kidding me man? the hydra in hover mode has got to be the slowest thing in existence, and because of the hydras shape, it often moves around and crashes into stuff and blows up during VTOL (vertical take off and landing). (--GTAddict 18:30, September 25, 2009 (UTC))
Helicopters are naturally more maneuverable and speedier than a Hydra on hover. The problem with the Hydra is that its flaps still function the same way as it would when you are in normal flight, meaning that its controls are too sensitive at hover that the plane can tilt far too much to sustain a certain height or travel at a speedy horizontal direction. The hover mode isn't tailored for long-distance travel, but rather take-off/landing and easier targeting and weapon discharge. - ZS 18:45, September 25, 2009 (UTC)
well I knew that. Im just saying, that when in hover mode, its REALLY hard to do vtol. (--GTAddict 06:45, September 26, 2009 (UTC))
It depends on how well you can execute the VTOL. Some people find it hard, but I for one find it INCREDIBLY easy. It depends on how long you've been playing the game and flying h (years in my case). Montybrady 01:49, July 26, 2010 (UTC)
The game says you can drop countermeasures, but I can seem to do it. I did it one, that was it. Is there a specific time to do so?--Allurade Dendra 00:45, September 13, 2009 (UTC)--Allurade Dendra 00:45, September 13, 2009 (UTC)
- You mean you can't do it? Sometimes you have to slow down a little, I don't really get why this is though.--Thescarydude 01:18, September 13, 2009 (UTC)
Neat Easter Egg I noticed
In case anyone was wondering, the numbers on the tail denote the year of build followed by serial number. The number shown on the example picture means that aircraft was built either in 2007 or 1907, one of which is unlikely and the other impossible with the year the game is supposed to be based.
- What? they're just numbers. If we had Harriers in 1907, wow, come WWI, we'd deal a big whoopin'. If a fire truck has 69 on it, it doesn't mean it was made in 1969 (just engine # 69).--Thescarydude 23:16, October 11, 2009 (UTC)
If correct, I think that counts as an oversight on the artists' parts. But don't forget this is a military aircraft, so the serial/numbering systems are different. Gboyers talk 00:57, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
That's the numbering system the military uses for identification. I'm actually not sure what the civilian sector uses. I imagine it is an oversight by the artists and not anything intentional, just thought I'd point it out.
I'm in the Air Force, that's how we number them, but after a two second Google search I came across this and suddenly feel very stupid. Apparently the Navy just counts their aircraft for their serial numbers.
Out of any aircraft in the GTA series,I preffer this in appearence.Does anyone else?[i dont own the game but my freind does]TheGTAfreighttrain 23:29, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Possible Hydra in GTA V?The Hydra in GTA V resembles a AV8B Harrier II, not an an F-35 lighning II. The whole aircraft forawd of the tail resembles the AV8B, looking closely at the hydra in the Trailer you can even see the thrust vectors that the Harrier have on the Hydra. The tail comes from most likely a F-16 and or F-18, as the F-35s tail assembaly is much wider than the GTA V hydras, and the Enginge in the F-35 is set much farther back than the Hydra. SgtByrd 16:42, December 18, 2011 (UTC)
I'm going to lay this out very simply. I added the F-35 with the operative word or for a very good reason. It is simply impossible to say that it bears no similarity to said F-35 (due to the single rear engine outlet that the Harrier simply does not possess) while it also bears obvious visual similarities to the Harrier. With the placement of or, there is no need to swing either way and hence creates a balance.
Note: From a designer perspective: It's likely that this remake is deemed to be a very modern imagining and hence the use of more recent aircraft would be more appropriate. Kozakuu 03:15, December 19, 2011 (UTC)
I see where you are comming from just because the f-35 is a VTOL modern aircraft does not mean it will be used. The planes bear little resembalance. In addition the AV8B was introduced in 1985, while the f35 will be introduced around 20015/2016 to me its also doubtful that what would use to aircraft introduced 30 years apart.SgtByrd 20:47, December 19, 2011 (UTC)
Recently a possible easter egg was found in Max Payne 3. This "easter egg" was a collage of 5 aircraft pictures (only 3 diffent aircraft were that collage). 2 of these pictures resembled the Samal, the other two are pictures of an aircraft very similar to the one in the trailer. Could this be the topside of the fighter aircraft?
Performance of the new Hydra in GTA V
The jet in GTA V is obviously not a Hydra. Just saying.
There is more than one fighter jet
As many have concluded, the Hydra isn't the only fighter jet in the game. There seem to be two distinctive ones:
- A Harrier-like fighter that also appears to share some design elements with the F-35 (As stated before in a previous discussion in this same talk page), seen in a few trailers and, like other planes, as a picture in the Max Payne 3 map Tiete River Docks. It appears to have a military camouflage, as shown on the right. Judging by it's Harrier look, it is most likely the Hydra.
- A fighter that blends some design elements from an F16 and a F/A18, most likely not a VTOL. It is seen in multiple screenshots and in the two latest gameplay trailers.
Since it seems unlikely that they are just "variants" from the same plane (As stated in this page) I created a page for the second one , taking in account the first is most likely the Hydra. Does any mod agree and feels like moving the F16 / FA18 content from this page? What do you guys think? (Henriquedematos (talk) 08:15, August 16, 2013 (UTC))
- Oh, right, I forgot. I made a logical deduction, that multiple users have already done, and created a new page that will eventually have to be created soon or later, but the game still isn't out, so I shouldn't. How dare I? (Henriquedematos (talk) 13:19, August 16, 2013 (UTC))
- It seems that the Hydra (VTOL) has the air intakes on the side of the plane and has a black nose. It also appears to have no wingtip rockets, just three rockets underneath the wings.
- The Fighter Jet has the body colored nose (gray) has wingtip rockets and the air intakes are underneath the plane. The Fighter Jet also has fueltanks (or bombs?) underneath the wings. Rlctstealth (talk) 23:48, August 19, 2013 (UTC)
You can see the afterburner in an screenshot so i think it'll be in the game ;)