- Don (Boss)
- Consigliere (Adviser)
- Caporegime (Captain)
- Soldato (Soldier)
- Mafia Enforcers
The gangs carry pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, knives and otherwise fight with their fists. The mobsters usually carry one or two weapons during gameplay, as shown in Grand Theft Auto IV, its episodes, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
Real Life Five Families
The Five Families which make up the Commission in GTA IV are based on New York City's real Five Mafia Families: The Five Families in New York City are:
- The Bonanno crime family
- The Colombo crime family
- The Gambino crime family
- The Genovese crime family
- The Lucchese crime family
The Five Families Comparison
The five Liberty City families are based on the real life Five Families in New York City, below is a list (including the Alderney/New Jersey crime family) of the GTA IV families and the real life family they are based on. This is ordered from the strongest family to the weakest family.
- Gambetti crime family - Gambino crime family
- Pavano crime family - Genovese crime family
- Messina crime family - Bonanno crime family
- Lupisella crime family - Lucchese crime family
- Ancelotti crime family - Colombo crime family
- Pegorino crime family - DeCavalcante crime family
- The Gambetti-Ancelotti rivalry is possibly based on the Gambino-Colombo war, as they are the only two families in the New York City Commission that are not allied with each other.
- In the The Lost and Damned, before you fight them in Gang Wars, Clay will sometimes say "Let's teach those mobsters it ain't the seventies anymore".