The Commission is made up of the five original Cosa Nostra families in Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto IV. The Commission is the Mafia families' means of discussing any problems between them; their meeting place is in Little Italy, Algonquin. During GTA IV, the Alderney based Pegorino Family are trying to gain a place on the Commission (by, for example, granting favors to the Pavano Family and waging a low-scale war against the Ancelotti Family), but they are apparently looked down upon by the existing five Liberty City families, and their ascension to Commission status seems unlikely, particularly after the events of GTA IV. They carry Pistols, Combat Shotguns, and SMGs, and are dangerous when fighting on the streets.
- Don (Boss)
- Consigliere (Adviser)
- Caporegime (Captain)
- Soldato (Soldier)
- Mafia Enforcers
The gangs carry pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, knives and otherwise fight with their fists. The mobsters usually carry one or two weapons during gameplay, as shown in Grand Theft Auto IV, its episodes, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
Real Life Five Families
The Five Families which make up the Commission in GTA IV are based on New York City's real Five Mafia Families: The Five Families in New York City are:
- The Bonanno crime family
- The Colombo crime family
- The Gambino crime family
- The Genovese crime family
- The Lucchese crime family
The Five Families Comparison
The five Liberty City families are based on the real life Five Families in New York City, below is a list (including the Alderney/New Jersey crime family) of the GTA IV families and the real life family they are based on. This is ordered from the strongest family to the weakest family.
- Gambetti crime family - Gambino crime family
- Pavano crime family - Genovese crime family
- Messina crime family - Bonanno crime family
- Lupisella crime family - Lucchese crime family
- Ancelotti crime family - Colombo crime family
- The Gambetti-Ancelotti rivalry is possibly based on the Gambino-Colombo war, as they are the only two families in the New York City Commission that are not allied with each other.
- In the The Lost and Damned, before you fight them in Gang Wars, Clay will sometimes say "Let's teach those mobsters it ain't the seventies anymore".