The train's locomotive resembles an EMD SD50, a diesel freight locomotive. The train can be seen pulling a variety of rolling stock which consists of boxcars, flatbeds, and tank cars. Unlike Grand Theft Auto IV, the player can jump and stand on the train while it's moving, which makes for a great way to lose a wanted level, as you can usually lose the cops when the train enters a tunnel. Unlike every game before it, the train can be destroyed in GTA Online, but otherwise is completely indestructible in GTA V. (Apart from in a mission where two trains collide.) Unlike the Tram, the driver will not attempt to stop if the track is obstructed, as stopping a freight train takes a large amount of time. The train is undrivable; however, it can be driven for a short time in Trevor Philips' mission Derailed.
Appearances in Missions
- In the Prologue of GTA V, Michael, Trevor and Brad's escape from Police after a bank heist is cut short by a train.
- In the mission Caida Libre, the player has to jump a moving train with a Sanchez while chasing the crashing plane.
- In the mission Derailed, Trevor has to chase a train with a Sanchez and hijack it.
- In Bury the Hatchet when driving to the church in Ludenndorf, North Yankton as Michael.
- In a preparation mission for the final heist (if the 'obvious' option is chosen, the player has to use a Skylift to pick up a locomotive and a flatcar.
- If the player shoots the train driver, the train will continue to drive normally. However, this could be explained in part due the throttle being stuck in the "accelerate" position after the driver's death, and the train is just coasting. However, this does not explain the fact that the train still needs to be steered, otherwise it may derail while going around a curve.
- The trains in the game are all operated by Go Loco Railroad.
- The train will generally stop at the Palmer-Taylor Power Station for a short period of time. However, the Train cannot be hijacked at this point either. It is possible to stop the train, through use of multiple sticky bombs, but it will be a moot point to try and operate the train, it will be destroyed.
- Some of the train cars are labelled "D-Rail", which sounds like "derail" when spoken.
- "LS2004" can be seen on the side of the locomotives. This is a reference to GTA San Andreas which was released in 2004.
- The Train, along with the Cargo Plane and the Jet, is not listed in the BradyGames guide.
- The Train is seen in some of Trevor's Arms Trafficking missions as a target for Trevor to destroy via aerial bombing.
- When riding on one of the train's cars, pictures cannot be taken with Snapmatic.
- There's a trick which allows you to open Snapmatic while you're standing on the moving train, however doing so will instantly kill the player, preventing the use of the application.
- The train is a good way to evade police attention but also to make long 5 stars chases as the police will only attack the player with helicopters.
- The train can be stopped with bullets and explosives to the locomotive in GTA Online.
- The train has a unique horn that can be heard randomly, but interestingly, when you're piloting the Train in Derailed the horn is much louder when you press the horn button.
- Freight - GTA San Andreas equivalent.