- "Triathlons bring three activities together in an epic way. In nature, it is doubtful you will be required to swim, bike, and run to escape the jaws of a bear or shark – but these days – the threat is your own ego and the darkness setting in as you grow older. The marathon was an ancient ritual popularized by the Greeks – like buggery – but combining exercise and ego is an American tradition."
- ―GTA V Website
Triathlons are multi-stage marathons where contestants typically resort to more than one form of transportation throughout the event. Triathlons have been featured in some form in the Grand Theft Auto series, including:
- "Beat the Cock!" in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- "Land Sea and Air Ace" and Hyman Memorial O.D.T. in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
- The triathlon in Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Triathlon activities in Grand Theft Auto V.
There are a total of 3 Triathlons in GTA V. The first one becomes available after the mission Daddy's Little Girl, and the other two are unlocked as the player completes the previous thiathlons. Each character may run any of the triathlons, so long as they are unlocked. The Triathlons in GTA V are made up of Swimming, Cycling and Running. They are a great way to boost the player's stamina. Medaling in all three events is required for 100% completion. The player receives no reward for completing the triathlons other than potential increases to stamina, strength and lung capacity. Unlike the Beat the Cock! triathlons, the triathlons in GTA V may be accessed on any day, at any time of the day or night.
- The Vespucci Beach Triathlon is located on the beach of Vespucci. At least 60% Stamina is advised before competing in this event.
- The Alamo Sea Triathlon is located on Seaview Road in Grapeseed and is only unlocked after the completion of The Vespucci Beach Triathlon. It lasts about 7 minutes and is great for increasing player stamina.
- The Coyote Cross Country Triathlon is located on the south beach of the Alamo Sea at Marina Drive in Sandy Shores. This triathlon will last approximately 30 minutes and is unlocked after the completion of The Alamo Sea Triathlon. 100% Player stamina is advised before entering this triathlon (this goes for the person holding the controller, too, as you will spend the 30 minutes mashing the buttons).
The opponents in GTA V's triathlons use a catch-up/rubberband AI system, meaning that they will regularly catch up on you or gain the lead momentarily regardless of your speed or tactics. On occasion however, especially in the Coyote Cross Country Triathlon, the system will glitch out and one or more opponents will receive a massive speed boost, shooting several checkpoints ahead of you. Do not let this fool you into thinking the race is lost, they will slow down during the final leg.