(Rear quarter view)
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||2-door coupé|
|Capacity||2 (driver and passenger)|
|Appearance(s)||Grand Theft Auto 2|
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto Online
|Manufacturer||Truffade (HD Universe)|
|Price||$10,000,000 (Story Mode)|
- "Weather the new Great Depression with a car from the last Great Depression. When this rolled off the production line in 1937, minorities and women knew their place. It was the world's fastest automobile. Now it's the world's most expensive second-hand automobile. One of only 10 ever made, the Z-Type is a car you can really enjoy sitting in, surrounded by armed guards, too terrified to actually drive it anywhere."
- ―Legendarymotorsport.net description, GTA V.
The vehicle appears in the Downtown, Residential and Industrial Districts of Anywhere City in GTA 2, all driven by the Zaibatsu gangs. It gives a silenced machine gun when crushed. The Z-Type is inspired by the 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic.
Like its counterpart in GTA V, it has very characteristic handling, with a high top speed and excellent acceleration, but is very prone to tailspins and can be difficult to control. However, in the hands of an experienced driver, it can be a useful getaway car, especially in timed missions.
The vehicle is a sleek classic coupe made by Truffade. It is still based on the 1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic. Like many other vehicles in the series, the Z-Type has no reversing lights, but contains two orange tail lights, which appear to be indicator lights. The round circle with the Truffade logo on the rear appears to be a boot/trunk, and contains a spare tyre.
The vehicle is powered by a massive V12 engine, which is capable of powering the vehicle up to impressive top speeds. The car has a very characteristic handling that results in its ability to calmly accelerate and easily weave through light traffic. This gives the player the impression that it is a relatively easy car to drive, but it is also prone to sudden and unexpected spinouts upon cornering at any speed. Due to its poor weight distribution and soft suspension, it is prone to oversteer, and counter-steering is extremely difficult.
It travels from 0 to 60 mph (100 km/h) in 6 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h) which would have been the world record of a car's acceleration rate in 1937.
Devin Weston requests an all-black variant of this car in the mission Eye in the Sky. Trevor and Franklin are tasked with retrieving it from record producer Chad Mulligan who has hidden it so it can't be taken away from him in his divorce. This mission involves using an LSPD camera in a helicopter to identify and track Chad back to the lockup. Franklin on the ground then has to chase Chad as he tries to escape. This lead onto the use of a thermal camera to detect Chad in a parking garage. Once found Franklin takes the car and drives it to Los Santos International Airport where Devin is waiting. Devin briefly inspects the car before one of his men drives it to another location.
- Downtown District:
- Residential District:
- The Village
- Industrial District:
- House Of Guns (parked)
- Can be bought for $10,000,000 from Legendarymotorsport.net in story.
- Can be bought for $950,000 from the same website in GTA Online.
- If the player parks it in Trevor's Vespucci Beach parking spot with Franklin after obtaining it during "Eye In The Sky" and kills themself, it will most likely still be parked there if the player hurries back in a taxi, as long as they don't actively drive any other vehicle in the meantime.
- The default radio stations for the Z-Type are:
- A Zaibatsu member can be seen driving the Z-Type in the introduction scene at the Residential District, to run over a Redneck member.
- The Z-Type is one of the oldest cars in GTA V, along with the Hotknife, Duneloader, Rat-Loader, Roosevelt and the old Tractor.
- It is possible to buy more than 8 Z-Types even though Devin Weston and Legendarymotorsport.net claim that there are only 10 in existence, and two are already owned.
- Aside from service and emergency vehicles, the Z-Type, Stallion, Stinger, Panto, Tour Bus, and Furore GT are the only vehicles from the 2D Universe to reappear in the HD Universe.
- When at top speed, the Z-Type can slowly outrun most of the super cars.
- If given the right paint job (and possibly the right crew emblem) from Los Santos Customs, it will resemble the Zaibatsu Z-Type from GTA 2.
- The mostly likely reason for its relatively cheap price in GTA Online compared to its story mode price is that it is quite hard for the player to get $10 million without playing extremely hard, or mods, cheats or glitches, or even having to pay vast sums of real money in order to obtain such an amount.