- "Our source in the police has informed us that one of our drivers is a strangely animated undercover cop! He's more or less useless out of his car, so we've tagged it with a tracer. Make him bleed!"
- ―Asuka Kasen
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto III|
|Location:||Newport, Staunton Island, Liberty City|
|Conditions of mission failure:|
|Blowing up Tanner's vehicle before starting the cut-scene|
|Unlocked by:||Payday For Ray|
Claude drops by Asuka's place, only to find out that she and Maria have gone shopping. Claude reads a note left by Asuka, which states that the Yakuza's police informant has said to them that one of their drivers is an undercover cop. She then tasks Claude to kill him.
He then heads to Kenji's Casino in Torrington. Once there, the driver is seen hopping onto his car. Claude then follows the car and tries to damage it enough to make him pull out of his car, all while having a four-star wanted level. Once he has bailed, Claude quickly kills him.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Head over to the Casino
- Take out Tanner
The reward for this mission is $20,000.
Tips and Tricks
- If you have obtained a rocket launcher before this mission, you can blow up Tanner's car as it leaves the casino for a quick completion of the mission.
- Another good weapon is the Uzi. When you enter the marker near the casino, you must be in your car. After the cutscene be ready. Now you have to follow his car and shoot it until it is on fire. Then he will bail out. You will have now the opportunity to ram him over. This trick is not as quick as the rocket launcher but it is also fast in case the player doesn't have a rocket launcher.
- Attacking Tanner will result in an immediate four-star wanted level, so move quickly to eliminate him before the cops get to you.
- The driver, along with his name and outfit, is a reference (and a mockery) of Tanner, the protagonist of the Driver video game series. He is mentioned by Asuka as being "useless outside of his car", referencing the lack of on-foot abilities in Driver 2. Tanner is even given a female running animation, making fun of the strange way Tanner moves in Driver 2.