- "I can hear the ships but I can't find them. You think they're using cloaking devices?"
- ―Ron Jakowski UFO spotting
So far, four types have been discovered, which shares their traits with each other and only changes in design:
- FIB UFO: Two of them looks identical, with a circular shape that looks more like the "classic" UFO. These have a dark body and several lights of varying colors on them, while the top side has FIB markings. Both only differs in that one dissapears when being very close and the other one is just flying above the sky, and also emits a strange sound that affects aircraft's engines. A third one is crashed/sunken in the sea, just off the coast of Paleto Bay and can be found with a submarine. This one apparently also has FIB markings on it, but can be hard to distinguish due to the lack of light when deep in the ocean and the dirty texture of the sunken UFO.
- Fort Zancudo UFO: This UFOs looks like a stealth aircraft, with a body resembling the real world B-2 Spirit, but with many flat panels extending out in all directions and forming a rough circular shape, that moves periodically as a result of stabilizing on the air. It features a central turbine, composed of two circular sections that moves on both sides. Under the cab, there's a spheric device that looks like a rotatory cam that moves periodically and blue lines on exposed frames that would be the propulsion system. This UFO also seems to emit loud noises; if the player gets near it, it will emit a incredibly loud screech, and the screen will begin to distort. Vehicles may be pushed off the UFO and disabled until the vehicle is out of range.
There are no ways of acquiring or piloting any of them, as all of them are likely props (like the Twinjet). The UFO above Fort Zancudo has a locked-vehicle script and seems to be protected by force-fields, as the player can be thrown away from it while trying to parachute to the top. The UFO above Sandy Shores will push the player away if approached too closely, while the UFO on top of Mount Chiliad will simply vanish (it is not solid).
Be careful when approaching them in an aircraft; when the player is near any of the UFOs, these will cause a temporary engine shutdown, making it a risk to collide with them when facing against them. The UFOs are immune to weapons and are unable to lock-on with the Buzzard or the P-996 Lazer.
Fort Zacudo UFO writings
This video shows the words on the cockpit of the Fort Zancudo UFO: "Segregate and Rearrange". (rearranging the letters from "segregate" gives us "easter egg"). The word rearrange in this phrase tells us, in the manner of a cryptic crossword clue, to rearrange the letters in the word segregate. Another thing telling us to rearrange letters is that segregate means to set apart or put together.
These cannot be seen from a great distance. Therefore, a bit of searching is needed:
- FIB markings version - Appears at the top of Mount Chiliad after achieving 100% Completion in GTA V.
- FIB markings version - Above Sandy Shores, almost over the Beam Me Up area. (100% Required)
- FIB markings version - At the bottom of the sea, off the northern coast of Paleto Bay (map). Reachable by Submarine. (100% NOT Required)
- Unique version - Above the Fort Zancudo military base. Much higher than most clouds. (100% Required.)
There's not much proof of who really owns them and why, but there are multiple theories:
- They could all belong to the same Aliens.
- The type with FIB markings could be an easter egg to movies and myths that some seeming government agencies are really co-operating with the saucer people. Search for "reptilian" aliens for more info about these beliefs. Many pedestrians, like Tramps, in GTA San Andreas, as well as GTA IV and EFLC often ramble about these reptilians.
- Some believe that the US government secretly operates advanced saucer-type stealth aircraft from Area 51. The unique one above the military base is likely an Easter Egg to this.
- The Flying UFOs are abscent in GTA Online. However, if the player goes to the exact location of the UFOs, the screen will still distort, but the spacecraft will not be visible nor solid. Also, the engine of the player's helicopter will NOT be shut off unlike in singleplayer.
- This may be a glitch or a bug. By going to the UFOs location, the game's sound system will start to glitch and will lag even after getting far away from the location or even when switching to story mode. This can be fixed by restarting the system.
- Strangely, on the enhanced version of the game, the FIB marked UFOs' are glitched. The FIB markings are rotating the opposite way to the disc.
- There's a fifth UFO in Vinewood. It's a large advertisement, connected to the roof of "Bishop's WTF?!" The UFO is covered with neon lamps and making UFO noise, however, it is not an exclusive feature for 100% completion of GTA V, neither is really a spacecraft.