Members of the Vercetti crime family outside the Vercetti Estate.
|Games:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
Patrol Invest Group
Micro-SMG (after Keep Your Friends Close)
Drug trade and trafficking
Pole Position Club
Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory
Lance Vance (formerly, deceased)
Ken Rosenberg (formerly)
Avery Carrington (Deceased)
The Vercetti Gang or Vercetti crime family is a powerful criminal organization based in and around Vice City. They are led by Tommy Vercetti and are essentially a splinter group of the Forelli Family, of which Vercetti was previously recognized as a member. They first appear midway through Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and are later mentioned in passing in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
The Vercetti gang is headed by Tommy Vercetti, a renegade Forelli Family member who has assumed control of many businesses and property ventures during the events of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, circa 1986. The organization is known to be involved in various illegal enterprises, including extortion, drug dealing, counterfeit and pornography. They are very territorial, and hostile towards the other gangs in the city, even the Cubans and Vice City Bikers, who are on friendly terms with Tommy Vercetti.
Though some might consider the Vercetti Gang a Mafia family, due to being led by a former mafia member, it cannot be a true mafia family because there are high ranking members, such as Lance Vance and Ken Rosenberg, who are not Italian, however they could be considered high ranking associates which are common in Mafia families, various high ranking members of the Five Families are not Italian. It does appear that Tommy structured it to resemble a Mafia family. The Vercetti Gang are mentioned in passing in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas by The Truth, who mentions that Dwaine and Jethro had their business bought out by "The Mob".
Tommy Vercetti was originally dispatched by the Forelli Family to Vice City to oversee a drug deal funded by Forelli family money; the drug deal was supposed to be the beginning of the Forelli expansion down south towards Vice City.
After the deal was ambushed by the Diaz Cartel, Vercetti was forced to start over with no money or property and aided only by Ken Rosenberg, a bent lawyer with Forelli connections. He eventually killed the perpetrator of the drug deal attack, Ricardo Diaz, aided by his new friend Lance Vance.
Following the killing, he seized many properties and businesses assets in the city, with no assistance from the Forelli family forming the "Vercetti Family" in the process. The expansion of the Vercetti's throughout Vice City made Tommy a very rich, powerful, and influential man, infuriating Sonny Forelli who was demanding his cut of the profit.
Tommy's refusal to give in led the Forelli Family to send collectors to Vice City to attempt to cut into the profits of Tommy's businesses by attempting to take over Tommy's businesses, which he bought. The Forellis' efforts were thwarted, and Sonny Forelli eventually confronts Tommy in person, which lead to a massacre, resulting in the death of many Forelli members, including a recently defected Lance Vance, and Sonny himself in the Vercetti Estate.
Following Sonny's death, the Vercetti Family is assumed to have total domination of Vice City. The Vercetti Family, or at least Tommy Vercetti himself, is presumed to remain in power for an undisclosed time. In The Introduction, the prequel film to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Ken Rosenberg, who was also initiated into the Vercetti Family in 1986, is assumed to have been abandoned by Tommy after Ken is forced into rehabilitation for prolonged cocaine abuse. Following his release from the Fort Carson Medical Center, Vercetti no longer takes his calls and their relationship is dissolved. This led to Ken's subsequent assignment as a middleman for the Leone Family, the Forelli Family and the Sindacco Family over Caligula's Palace along The Strip, Las Venturas and then employment as an accountant to rapper Madd Dogg. The Truth makes a reference to them, saying that Dwaine and Jethro's businesses were bought by "the mob".
- Tommy Vercetti - Boss
- Lance Vance - Underboss (Formerly/Deceased)
- Ken Rosenberg - Adviser (Formerly)
- Avery Carrington - Adviser (Deceased)
- Mike - Enforcer
- Juan Cortez - Leader of the Cortez Crew
- Kent Paul - Friends of Ken Rosenberg
- Umberto Robina - Leader of The Cubans
- Big Mitch Baker - President of the Vice City Bikers
- Ricardo Diaz (Formerly/Deceased) - Leader of The Diaz's Cartel
- Earnest Kelly - Owner of The Print Works
- Phil Cassidy - Gunman and arms dealer
- Sonny Forelli (Formely/Deceased) - Don of the Forelli Family
- Steve Scott - Studio productor
- Cam Jones (Can be kill in The Job) - Stick up man
- Hillary King (Deceased) - Driver
GTA Vice City
- The Vercetti Gang are never formally named in the game. The name 'Vercetti Gang' came from Kaufman Cabs dispatcher Delores announcing Tommy Vercetti's takeover of the business to the drivers.
- Upon reaching 100% completion, three Vercetti gang members that the player can recruit will as Bodyguards spawn in the room to the right of the main entrance when entering the Vercetti Estate. The player just needs to walk into the pink marker for each gang member and they will immediately begin following the player while $2000 is deducted.
- The Vercetti gang does not spawn around Vice Beach. This is either because there are not many gangs in the area, or because the player only has safehouses rather than business assets.
- On some occasions whilst in a gunfight around an area where they spawn, the gang can attack your bodyguards (who are also members of the gang) and the bodyguards can attack each other.
- Vercetti Gang members will fall into the ground If you attack them. If they attack you accidentally during a gun fight, you will not lose Health, nor Body Armor.
- The Vercetti Gang is the only gang in normal gameplay to use any firearm other than a pistol, as they begin to carry Uzis after the completion of Keep Your Friends Close....
- It is unknown how Tommy Vercetti was able to recruit so many thugs to guard his properties and businesses in such a short amount of time. What is even more curious is that the regular members of this gang are pre-dominantly Italian-American, a demographic that wouldn't be as widely seen in Florida as it would on the East coast (e.g. Liberty City). It is possible that these thugs were citizens of Liberty City that heard about Tommy Vercetti starting a new Mafia family in Vice City and left Liberty State to join him, or that they were Forelli Family members later sent by Sonny Forelli to help Tommy secure the money he needed.
- ↑ Delores: "Our new management, the Vercetti Gang, is gonna make sure we get no trouble".