- "Jerk needs to be taught a lesson. Give him a beating. Let him know... might is right!"
- ― Vlad Glebov
Vladimir "Vlad" Glebov (Russian: Владимир Глебов) (1967-2008) is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as the quinary antagonist in Grand Theft Auto IV, appearing as the first antagonist in the first half of the storyline and a cameo character in The Lost and Damned.
Vlad was a senior member of the Faustin Family operating in Hove Beach, a community in Liberty City resided by Russian gangsters. He made his income from loansharking and racketeering in Broker, initially targeting weak Russians to intimidate. He was the owner of Comrades Bar bar, where he often carried out orders to those working for him. Vlad was a frequent user of Cocaine, which was usually supplied by his boss, Mikhail Faustin. His demise occurred when Niko Bellic arrived in Liberty City. Niko was the cousin of Roman Bellic, whom was in debt to Vlad. Niko murdered Vlad after finding out he had slept with Roman's girlfriend, Mallorie Bardas.
Vladimir "Vlad" Glebov was born in 1967 in Russia, his childhood and teenage activity is unknown, although it is stated that he has a sister. During the early 1980s, Vlad affiliated himself with two Russian mobsters: Mikhail Faustin and Dimitri Rascalov, and possibly served in Faustin's organization as an enforcer for a while.
In the late 1980s, the Faustin Bratva relocated to the United States of America, settling into the Hove Beach oceanside neighborhood of Liberty City. Vlad bought and began operating in Comrades Bar, where he regularly frequented and held meetings with his associates. During his time in Liberty City, Vlad had become a high ranking member of the organization (most probably a "Brigadier".)
In 2005, Vlad met a man named Roman Bellic who was in a lot of debt for gambling. Roman borrowed money from Vlad, but was unable to pay him back for a while. Roman's girlfriend, Mallorie Bardas began sleeping with Vlad to prevent Roman from being hurt for not being able to pay his debts.
Events of GTA IV
- Roman: "I'll get you the money."
- Vlad: "I know. And Roman... tell this fucking yokel here if he doesn't stop staring at me, I'll have his head chopped off and put a film of it on the internet!"
- ―Vlad threatens Roman and his cousin, Niko.
Vlad sent Niko to collect protection money from a Chinese store clerk, and later from a man named Muscovski, who owned a laundromat. Shortly after that, Niko stole a Blista Compact from somebody called Jimmy, who refused to pay off his debt to Mikhail.
Ivan Bytchkov somehow angered Mikhail, and Vlad was ordered to take care of it. Niko was sent to eliminate Ivan, whom he can choose to spare. The latter option causes Ivan to appear in a random encounter later on. Niko calls Vlad after the mission and claims to have killed Ivan, where Vlad suggests that he's had sex with Mallorie - this frustrates Niko, and he threatens to "break" Vlad if he said it to his face.
- "Fucking yokel, you think you can get away with killing me?"
"I guess I'll find out."
"You think this is worth it? You're throwing you and your fatty cousin's lives away for that bit of Puerto Rican chocha!"
"I'm throwing your life away, prick. We'll do alright."
"My friends will track you down, you won't last a moment."
"I'll last longer than you will, shithead."
"Fuck you, I wish I could be there to watch Mikhail cut your peasant balls off!"
- ―Vlad being confronted by Niko before being killed.
Vlad is confronted by Niko at Comrades Bar after it is revealed that he has been having an affair with Mallorie. After a brief high speed car chase across the neighborhood, Niko shoots Vlad in the left eye underneath the Algonquin Bridge, ditching his carcass in the Humboldt River afterwards. Niko ignores the fact that Mikhail Faustin will most certainly track him down.
Mikhail later admits to Niko that he thought Vlad was an idiot, and claims that the only reason he kept Vlad alive was because he was sleeping with his sister. Seeing as Vlad's corpse was never found, the LCPD database lists him as "missing".
- GTA IV
- It's Your Call
- Easy Fare
- Bull in a China Shop (Boss)
- Hung Out to Dry (Boss)
- Clean Getaway (Boss)
- Ivan the Not So Terrible (Boss)
- Uncle Vlad (Betrayal/Killed)
- The Lost and Damned
- Credits (Killed)
LCPD Database record
- In the first cut scene of Clean Getaway, there's a reference to the movie Midnight Cowboy where Vlad yells at the taxi "I'm walking here!". The part of the movie which can be seen here .
- This scene was seen in a trailer, which also showed that in the beta the cabs were black.
- In Russia, the nickname for "Vladimir" is "Vova" and "Vlad" is for "Vladislav". It may be that "Vlad" is just easier to pronounce for Americans and because Vova can be confused by Latin people for "boba", an informal word in feminine for stupid in Spanish.
- Vlad is the first of his former employers that Niko kills.
- During the mission Do You Have Protection?, Dimitri mentioned that Vlad was the debt collector in Faustin Family. It could be his official rank.
- There is a reference to another Rockstar game in one of his lines: he said "Bang Bang, you are dead" to Niko. This is a reference to Vladimir Lem from Max Payne, who often said this.
- In the opening cutscene of It's Your Call, Vlad threatens Niko by saying that he would cut his head off and post a video of it on the internet if he wouldn't stop staring at him. This could be a reference to the graphic video where Russian neo-Nazis beheaded a person.
- Later in the game, Mallorie calls Niko revealing that Roman took credit for Vlad's death, and thanks him for helping Roman dispose of Vlad's body. Rather than tell her what really happened, Niko plays along, calling Roman an old school romantic.
- There is a possible reference to Vlad in a competing game, Saints Row 2. There is a commercial featuring a man named Vlad with an East European accent (Jason Zumwalt, the same voice actor that voices Roman), with hints that he is a human trafficker, and states that he is willing to have the player's family killed.
- The only time Vlad appears outside of cutscenes is in the mission Uncle Vlad.
- Vladimir Glebov shares his name with the youngest son of Lev Kamenev, a Bolshevik revolutionary and a prominent Soviet politician. Vladimir Glebov was the name of Lev's youngest son, and the only immediate relative to survive after Lev's execution, as the rest of his family was executed as well.
- As shown in the mission Clean Getaway, Vlad was a user of cocaine.
- After Vlad is killed and you go out drinking with Roman at the Comrades Bar, Roman will mention of Vlad's death.