GTA San Andreas
In GTA San Andreas, wardrobes are contained only within safehouses, and appear as a separate room with a yellow entrance icon (the same showing up on the exterior doors of accessible buildings). Upon entering the room, the player must walk into the red destination icon, which causes Carl Johnson to enter a walk-in closet. Once inside, clothing options will become available, including adding and removing items. The only clothing options available are the clothes Carl is wearing at the beginning of the game, any items the player purchases from clothing retailers, and special outfits the player unlocks as the story progresses. Changing clothes allows the player to evade a wanted level. Clothes can be changed back immediately afterward without reinstating the wanted level. The player's favourite radio station will play on the radio while inside. In the console versions, killing yourself in the wardrobe will respawn you at the hospital in Los Santos, regardless of where your wardrobe is.
If you remove clothing in the wardrobe, it does not deduct the stats for the clothing, so you can remove an item, put it on, remove it again, etc. and pad the sex appeal as high as you'd like.
Grand Theft Auto IV
In GTA IV, the wardrobe is indicated by a yellow marker (like the marker used to start a mission). Once standing in the marker, the player is given the option of pressing L1 on PS3, LB on Xbox 360, or E on PC to change clothes. Niko has the option of changing into the clothes he wore at the beginning of the game, any attained in missions, and any purchased at clothing retailers.
The Ballad of Gay Tony
There is one wardrobe in Luis' Apartment where Luis can change his clothes. Standing next to the wardrobe will give the option for the player to access it. There are six outfits to choose from. The seventh outfit is unlocked after completing at least one Club Management activity.
Grand Theft Auto V
Approaching the wardrobe of a safehouse will prompt the player to press a command in order to check clothing options. The wardrobe divides articles of clothing into separate categories. Once a category is the chosen the player can preview the clothing and decide on whether or not to wear said clothing.
- In the GTA San Andreas rendition of the wardrobe, a surfboard is located on the right side of the room, near the radio. It has the most of Washington Beach area of Vice City.
- The radio plays the songs from your favorite radio station.
- The wardrobe interiors in GTA San Andreas are just one interior, there isn't an interior for every wardrobe.
- On the Mobile version of GTA San Andreas, the wardrobe door's texture was changed into a wooden detailed door but still has the same color.
- In GTA V, most of the clothes you receive in specific missions will appear in your wardrobe afterwards.
- Oddly, the Firefighter outfit will not appear after completing the mission "The Bureau Raid".