The Weapon Wheel is a feature in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP and iOS versions), Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online. Unlike previous Grand Theft Auto titles, the weapon system has now been revamped. Instead of having to scroll through the player's weapons, the player can now use a wheel, which is similar to that of the Radio Wheel and Character Wheel, to change their weapons. The player can now hold more than one weapon of their class. For example, in GTA IV, the player would be unable to hold a MP5 and a Micro-SMG at the same time, but it is now possible in GTA V.
There are eight different slots in the Weapon Wheel. The top slot holds pistols such as the Stun Gun, AP Pistol, etc. The second slot going clockwise holds machine guns. The third slot (clockwise) assault rifles such as the Carbine Rifle. The fourth slot (clockwise) holds sniper rifles such as the Heavy Sniper Rifle. The fith and bottom slot is the unarmed and melee slot. The sixth slot (clockwise) holds shotguns such as the Pump Action Shotgun. The seventh slot (clockwise) holds heavy weapons such as the Grenade Launcher and Minigun. Lastly, the 8th slot (clockwise) holds thrown explosives such as Molotov Cocktails, Grenades and Sticky Bombs. Each slot showns the ammunition of the weapon and a colored line showns the actual weapon. In the middle, there is the name, the place and the adquired attachments of the weapon.
If a parachute is in the player's inventory, it will be shown on the bottom right of the wheel, next to the Sniper Rifle slot. After patch 1.16, the number "2" can be seen if there are 2 parachutes.
- Top (Pistols) - Pistol, Combat Pistol, AP Pistol, Pistol .50, Heavy Pistol, Vintage Pistol, SNS Pistol, Taser/Stun Gun
- Top Right (Machine Guns) - MG, Combat MG, SMG, Assault SMG, Micro SMG, Gusenberg Sweeper
- Right (Assault Rifles) - Assault Rifle, Carbine Rifle, Advanced Rifle, Special Carbine, Bullpup Rifle
- Bottom Right (Sniper Rifles) - Sniper Rifle, Heavy Sniper Rifle
- Bottom (Melee) - Fist, Knife, Nightstick, Hammer, Baseball Bat, Crowbar, Golf Club, Broken Bottle, Antique Cavalry Dagger
- Bottom Left (Shotguns) - Shotgun, Sawed-Off Shotgun, Assault Shotgun, Bullpup Shotgun, Musket
- Left (Heavy) - Grenade Launcher, RPG, Minigun, Firework Launcher
- Top Left (Thrown) - Grenade, Sticky Bomb, Tear Gas, Molotov, Jerry Can.
- The Weapon Wheel is based on the weapon switching feature in another Rockstar title, Red Dead Redemption, as well as Max Payne 3, but using 4 slots (single hand weapons onto the sides, dual-wielding weapons on the top and two hand weapons on the bottom).
- The Musket is strangely placed in the Shotgun slot, though the Musket is its own type of gun, it is more closely related to a Rifle than to a Shotgun. It also uses Sniper Rifle ammo.