Weapons are at the forefront of all Grand Theft Auto games. Ranging from bare fists to a simple baseball bat to fishing knifes to rocket-propelled grenades to dildos, there are many different weapons throughout the series. This article mainly details weapons in the 3D Universe and HD Universe.
In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the player can increase his/her skill for a particular weapon by practicing, using the weapon either on a shooting range or on real targets. For each individual weapon, the player can achieve three skill-levels: Poor, Gangster and Hitman. On the Hitman skill level, the player is able to fire lighter weapons whilst walking, as well as being able to double-wield certain weapons (one in each hand).
Weapons can be obtained by 7 main means:
- Picking up weapons that spawn around the map.
- Purchasing from Ammu-Nation or other weapon shops.
- For weapons that share ammo, the player can save money by purchasing lots of the cheap weapon (e.g. the Tec-9) to gain lots of ammo for that slot, then purchasing the expensive weapon (e.g. the SMG).
- In GTA IV and its episodes, the player buys a gun and then pays a smaller amount for additional magazines (thrown weapons still need to purchased one at a time at full price).
- Picking up weapons from killed pedestrians.
- Weapons spawning as rewards - Once the player have reached certain parts of games, such as obtaining a certain number of Hidden Packages, some weapons spawn at the player's Safehouses.
- Weapons being automatically given to the player by other characters, such as those required for a mission.
- Entering/exiting certain vehicles, e.g. the Caddy gives the player a golf club and the Police Car gives the player a shotgun.
- Using cheats to spawn weapons and extra ammo.
- Weapons in GTA 1
- Weapons in GTA 2
- Weapons in GTA III
- Weapons in GTA Vice City
- Weapons in GTA Advance
- Weapons in GTA San Andreas
- Weapons in GTA Liberty City Stories
- Weapons in GTA Vice City Stories
- Weapons in GTA IV
- Weapons in The Lost and Damned
- Weapons in The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Weapons in GTA Chinatown Wars
- Weapons in GTA V
List of weapons
- Brass Knuckles
- Meat Cleaver
- Golf Club
- Gaff Hook
- Butterfly Knife
- Satchel Charges
- Spray Can
- Fire Extinguisher
- Night Vision
- Thermal Vision