- "Nothing says "I've made it in this town" like a N.O.O.S.E armored personnel carrier, equipped with a 360-degree rotatable turret and explosive ordnance."
- ―Official website description
The APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) is an armored assault vehicle featured in The Ballad of Gay Tony. It is commonly referred to as a NOOSE Tank.
The Ballad of Gay Tony
The body of the APC bears a striking resemblance to the Soviet BRDM-2 scout car, lacking the 14.5mm machine gun and utilizing a 73mm cannon firing sabot explosive rounds instead, with the front and cab design from a BTR-80, with side doors from a Cadillac Gage Commando. The APC features unusable panels intended to cover the windows and periscope-like windows over the main ones when these panels are closed (a feature similar to the BTR-80). Also, there are unusable hatches on the top. As seen in the mission Caught with your Pants Down, the APC has four hook points for winching. The interior lacks any type of dashboard or interior textures, having only two seats that, oddly, appears to have a carbon-fiber appearance.
Current Design Gallery
The Ballad of Gay Tony
The APC's performance is what is expected for a large APC; a deadly vehicle. The vehicle has a moderate speed, which is beneficial for aiming at targets and for control. The vehicle's heavy weight means it is deadly to other road users, it can ram other cars out of the way with little trouble, however, cars tend to become stuck under the vehicle's front area, meaning the APC eventually suffers by slowing down, and reacceleration can be costly.
In terms of handling, the APC has a moderate turning radius; it can turn rather quickly, but the loose suspension tends to cause the entire vehicle to lean to one side, but again, thanks to its weight, it does not seem to roll-over when cornering, and its top speed is low enough to avoid this. Braking is what is expected for a vehicle of its size; moderate. The vehicle tends to lag in braking, and cannot be avoided unless cruising at even lower speeds. Because of the shovel-shaped front and high suspension, the APC can sort small barriers easily.
The main turret on the vehicle is very powerful. While not causing explosions as loud, big and instant as the Rhino in past GTAs, the cannon is much faster and therefore better for causing chaos and destruction in large proportions. The fire rate is similar to that of the Valkyrie featured in Grand Theft Auto Online, and the sound is also a lower-pitch sound of the aforementioned helicopter. The damage of the turret is notable, wherein it takes an average of 5 to 6 shots (depending on the vehicle's durability and size) before the target vehicle bursts into flames. At constant firing, it usually takes around 20 shots before the vehicle finally explodes (although, leaving the vehicle in flames also leads to it eventually blowing up, regardless of how many more shots are fired). The shots it fires cause not only damage to the engine of target vehicles but also, to the bodywork; dramatically. The target vehicle's body will deform majorly when shot at, with rear ends, front ends and roofs twisting and deforming. In terms of targeting pedestrians, the APC somewhat fails. Although the fire-rate of the APC is very fast, the explosion size is similar to that of a sticky bomb, and due to the lack of any type of aiming dot, the accuracy is minimal. It somewhat fails at killing pedestrians in one shot when they are eventually hit by an explosion. It should be noted that the APCs firing range is actually infinite, similar to the Heavy Sniper in GTA V, however the render distance for the explosion is relatively small, thus making it hard to aim at distant targets.
The turret rotating speed is very fast, and even faster in the PC version thanks to mouse control. This allows the APC to be very tactical and strategic, and allows the player to be fast at reacting to attackers. The upwards and downwards movement of the APC, however, is very restricted, so aircraft are tricky to target unless they are low flying, leaving the helicopter able to whittle away at the APC's health, with relative impunity.
In terms of durability, the APC is very strong. The APC lasts numerous explosions and endless amounts of bullets before bursting into flames. Once damaged enough, light smoke will emerge from the engine bay, and eventually will turn darker and thicker. When it is finally on its last legs, flames will emerge from the engine and eventually the vehicle will explode.
The engine sound is loud and powerful, and sounds to be similar to a diesel engine. It does not rev that high due to the weight of the vehicle and nature of the engine, however it provides a large amount of power to all 4 wheels through two differentials, in an equal distribution (50-50).
The occupants are safe inside, as no bullet can pass throught the APC's windows (Much like the Securicar's windows), as long as the doors are still in place. Even if these were blown up by nearby explosions, the occupants are still safe.
The APC is capable of withstanding before catching fire, as tested, roughly 7,130 shots from a machine gun to the body, 350 to its engine compartment, 2 grenades from a grenade launcher, 2 RPG grenades, and 11 sticky bombs on the ground.
(0-60 mph in Seconds)
(mph / kmh)
(FWD / RWD / AWD)
(kg / lbs)
|N/A||50 / 80||5||N/A||AWD|
|13000 / 28660|
|N/A||N/A||5||AWD||Cannot be observed|
|Damage||Fire Rate||Range||Ammo Specifications/|
|Reload Mechanism||Reload Speed|
|N/A||N/A||N/A||Explosive ordnance (Official website)||N/A||N/A|
|8/8||300 RPM||Cannot be determined||Explosive rounds||N/A||0.2 seconds|
The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Story Mode
- The APC appears in the missions "Caught with your Pants Down", where the player steals one for Yusuf Amir, and "Frosting on the Cake", where the player destroys one with Sticky Bombs to escape pursuing law enforcement after killing several Lost MC bikers.
- Can be obtained from Henrique Bardas after finishing the main storyline.
- Can be spawned via the player's phone by dialing: 272-555-8265 ("APC"-555-"TANK").
- At Yusuf Amir's construction site after shooting all 50 seagulls and after the mission For the Man Who Has Everything is completed.
- In the parking lot of the East Holland LCPD Station in Algonquin. The vehicle can be found parked underneath in a small garage with no garage door. It is only available in Free Mode.
- There is a dedicated GTA race class where all racers drive the APC, during which the player can use the cannon, albeit with a slower rate of fire and less powerful than the standard one.
- Despite its name, it acts much like an IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle). Usually, an IFV sacrifices troop capabilities to obtain more firepower, while an APC is a vehicle that carries an amount of people with none or low firepower.
The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Although the APC is described on the official TBoGT website as an APC utilized by the NOOSE, neither NOOSE nor the LCPD actually use the APC in-game to chase the player, except during "Frosting on the Cake" or when there is an APC in the area and a police or NOOSE officer gets in the vehicle.
- In said mission, the APC has a notable difference than the APC the player can drive. Instead of a turret that shoots explosive bullets, this APC has a minigun that sounds like an SMG. If the player attempts to get the APC, a police officer can be seen inside the vehicle.
- The turret contains cursive texts saying "Liberty's Problems Solved".
- The turret is immune to physical damage and therefore, unable to have bullet holes.
- The APC's horn is the same as the Firetruck's one (heard when an NPC uses it or if used with the sirens on).
- Strangely, it has a normal car start sound, as opposed to a industrial truck start sound. Also, it features an alarm like a conventional vehicle, unlike most heavy vehicles.
- Interestingly, the texture file for the APC (which is, rather oddly, textures of the entire vehicle due to the nature of the rough-style bodywork) is implemented into the engine, under the vents and engine cover flaps. This is similar to how the sticker-bomb textures are located inside the engine in the Asea in GTA V, as well as the racing textures for the stock cars in GTA V.
- Due to the base color being part of the textures, when the APC is destroyed, there is no clear sight of missing textures or burnt bodywork, other than missing doors or wheels, similar to the Brickade. The fact that the LCPD calls it "a black APC" suggests that the vehicle's model is entirely black (similar to the case where most cars with textures are defined as "white vehicles").
- The rearmost windows on the sides leads to nothing but a large gap that is connected to the opposite window.
- Due to balancing purposes, the APC cannot be stored on any of the safehouse parking lot. The same applies to the Buzzard.
- Even though it is considered to be a law enforcement vehicle, the player can pick up prostitutes and pay for their services.
- If the player manages to make the APC used by police officers, removing the wanted level and then, leaving the APC far away but keeping it on-screen, it will be randomly occupied by civilian NPCs.
- The only time one can activate the use of radio stations in the APC is in multiplayer mode. This also applies to other emergency vehicles in GTA IV and EFLC.
- The APC's turret can vary on rate of fire during Multiplayer sessions, similar to the Buzzard's rockets.
- When used in GTA races, if the player uses Nitro, one can see that the same comes from the lower points of the APC's vents, as if were a simple exhaust system of a conventional vehicle.
- Rarely, players are able to use the APC's gun without the explosive capabilities, likely as a result of low connection speed with the game's server. This results in standard projectiles, yet with devastating power against vehicles.
- S.W.A.T. - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas equivalent.
- Insurgent - An LAPV featured exclusively in Grand Theft Auto Online, as a part of the Heists Update.
- Insurgent Pick-Up - An armed LAPV featured exclusively in Grand Theft Auto Online, as a part of the Heists Update.
- Technical - an armed pickup truck featured in Grand Theft Auto Online as a part of the Heists Update.