Automated teller machines, more commonly known as ATMs, are computerised machines that can be used to complete monetary transactions such as balance check or withdrawal. It has appeared in four games so far: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
In GTA: San Andreas, the ATM is a non-interactive device. It features heavily in the mission Small Town Bank for Catalina, where the player must destroy some ATMs and retrieve the money inside. Even though the player can't use the ATM, it is implied that the machine accepts PISN, Master B8tr and Pla$tic cards, and is available for 24 hours.
Grand Theft Auto IV
In GTA IV, ATMs are interactive devices, but only serve as a means to show the player how much money the player has - despite the fact that the player's money is already displayed in the game's HUD. ATMs in GTA IV can be found in various locations throughout Liberty City, and are implied to be operated by the Bank of Liberty.
Occasionally, if the player kills a pedestrian who just used an ATM, massive amounts of money will spawn repeatedly on the ground. This will happen even with cops, who normally only drop their pistol.
Grand Theft Auto V
In GTA V, ATMs play a more important role. Michael, Franklin and Trevor can visit an ATM to deposit or withdraw their money into their bank accounts and view their purchase history. The player has five options to deposit money, ranging from a few dollars to all the money the player has collected. Since places like Ammu-Nation stores and real-estate brokers accept debit cards, it is not necessary to extract big stacks of cash from ATMs in order to make big purchases. The player can also use their in-game cell phone or laptop to deposit or withdraw money via the Internet.
In the game, there's also an Random Event that involves the player pursuing a robber after he steals the wallet of a pedestrian while he was withdrawing money from the ATM.
ATMs can be found in many locations throughout San Andreas, outside Fleeca, Maze Bank or Lombank branches, and in places like the Vanilla Unicorn, Maze Bank Arena, or the ground floor of some buildings in Los Santos.
Grand Theft Auto Online
In GTA Online, the player can visit an ATM to deposit their collected money into their bank account to prevent it from being stolen by other players. The player can also use ATMs to view their purchase history like in GTA V. It is best to visit ATMs when not around many other players in GTA Online, for if the player visits an ATM, they are vulnerable to attacks. The player's money can then be stolen from other players, making the use of ATMs in the game very risky. The safest option is to deposit and withdraw money using the cell phone or a laptop, from Maze Bank's website.
The player can find the closest ATM with the Quick GPS option of the Interaction Menu, holding the Select button (PlayStation 3), the Back button (Xbox 360) or the List button (Xbox One), or by pressing in the touchpad (PlayStation 4).
Types of ATMs
Grand Theft Auto IV
- Crockett Avenue (Southern most corner of Mohawk Avenue)
- Tulsa Street (Mohawk Avenue side)
- Deadwood Street (Opposite the alleyway)
- Corner of Tuscarora Avenue and Cassidy Street
- Cassity Street (Opposite the alleyway)
- Corner of Savannah Avenue and Seymour Avenue (Directly below Howard Street)
- Harrison Street (Corner of Yorktown Avenue)
- Meadows Park (Just off of Cleves Avenue)
- Francis International Airport (near the stairs that lead to the train station)
- Bismarck Avenue (Corner of Silicon Street)
- Frankfort Avenue (Western fork beside Topaz Street)
- Union Drive East (Almost level with Nickel Street)
- Bismarck Avenue (Corner of Manganese Street)
- Kunzite Street (Halfway between Frankfort Avenue and the small road connecting Kunzite Street to Jade Street, then Jade Street directly to the south)
- Amsterdam Lane (One block above Amethyst Street, just south of small lane connecting Amsterdam Lane to Bismark Avenue)
- (TBoGT only) 2 Inside Bahama Mamas, one by the stairwell and another near the dance floor, beside a seating lounge and Vic Manzano's office. It can only be accessed in Boulevard Baby or with the usage of mods.
- Babbage Drive (On corner of Cockerell Avenue)
- Northwest corner of Long John Avenue and Franklin Street
- East side of Hubbard Avenue (where it curves north toward Panhandle Road)
Grand Theft Auto V
- Peaceful Street (at Quik House and Slaughter, Slaughter & Slaughter building)
- Vespucci Boulevard (at Lombank Tower)
- Vespucci Boulevard (at FLEECA branch)
- San Andreas Avenue (at FIB Headquarters)
- San Andreas Avenue (at Maison Ricard)
- Power Street (at Union Depository)
- Alta Street (at 707 Vespucci, corner of Vespucci Boulevard)
- Elgin Avenue (at Escapism Travel branch)
- Strawberry Avenue (at Robert Dazzler International Jewelry Exchange, corner of San Andreas Avenue)
- Clinton Avenue (inside a 24/7)
- Spanish Avenue (between Pop's Pills and a public parking lot)
- Eclipse Boulevard (at Hardcore Comic Store)
- West Mirror Drive (inside a Limited Service convenience store)
- West Mirror Drive (next to Chico's Hypermarket)
- Corner of Mirror Park Boulevard and Nikola Avenue (at a small shopping mall)
- Corner of Hawick Avenue and Las Lagunas Boulevard (outside a liquor store)
- Corner of Vinewood Boulevard and Power Street (at the Vinewood Mall souvenir gift shop)
- Corner of Palomino Avenue and San Andreas Avenue (at Little Seoul Tower)
- Lindsay Circus (inside a Limited Service convenience store)
- Vespucci Boulevard (next to a Kayton branch and Arirang Plaza)
- Vespucci Boulevard (between Look-See and Blick stores)
- Boulevard Del Perro (at FLEECA branch, next to the BAWSAQ and Betta building)
- Cougar Avenue (next to an International Online Unlimited branch)
- Mad Wayne Thunder Drive (Lombank branch, corner of South Boulevard Del Perro)
- Corner of Dorset Drive and Heritage Way (International Online Unlimited building)
- Back entrance of Leopolds
- Route 1 (outside Rob's Liquor and FLEECA branch).
- Barbareno Road (at 24/7)
- Ineseno Road (at 24/7)
- Chumash Plaza (at Blaine County Savings Bank branch)
- Great Ocean Highway (at RON filling station, next to Pop's Pills)
- Paleto Boulevard (near a liquor store and the Sheriff's office)
- Cascabel Avenue (at Blaine County Savings Bank branch)