- "In these days of moral hypocrisy, certain valuable commodities can be hard to import. On its approach to the airport tonight, a light aircraft will pass over the bay. It will drop several packages into the water. Make sure you pick them up before anyone else does."
- ―Donald Love
A Drop in the Ocean is a mission in Grand Theft Auto III given to protagonist Claude by media tycoon and businessman Donald Love from the Love Media building in the Bedford Point district of Staunton Island, Liberty City.
Claude goes to Donald Love's place looking for more work. A DeadDodo plane is dropping a few packages on the sea and Love wants him to pick them up before anyone else does. After being informed about the plane, Claude gets a car and drives to a boat. He follows the plane, and later on, the plane starts to drop packages. Claude collects all six, and then makes his way back to Love Media Building, all while avoiding the gained attention from the police, to give the packages to Donald.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get a boat and follow the plane.
- Pick up each of the 6 packages dropped by the plane.
- Take the packages to Donald Love.
- It would be convenient to pick up the Speeder at Asuka's place instead of using the boat in the Portland docks like the game suggests, in this way you will save time otherwhise spent on land travel.
- Picking up each of the first five packages will earn the player one star on the wanted level. It is recommended that the player drives to a Pay 'n' Spray to eliminate the wanted level before delivering the packages. It is not really necessary, but going to Donald Love with the wanted level is very risky, as FBI Cars may ram the player constantly, causing the car to catch fire. Then, getting out is also dangerous as the FBI have very powerful weapons.
- If you are of the adrenaline type and decide to escape with the packages in land towards the Love Media Building, all while the police and the FBI are chasing you, then land in Asuka's place, head upstairs, and get on the parked Banshee, arguably the best car in this game. With its extremely fast speed, this sports car will outrun any FBI Car thrown at you (which are themselves among the fastest cars in the game). Just beware of crashing against walls or getting too many shots from police barricades, and enjoy the ride!
The reward for this mission is $10,000. Shoreside Vale is also unlocked, finally making all areas in the game available to the player. The missions Grand Theft Aero, Marked Man and Uzi Money are unlocked.
- If the player does not pickup the packages in time, then the police will get in their Predator boats (the only police use of Predators in the entire game) and seize the packages, causing the mission to fail. If the cops failed to do their job, they will chase and shoot the player with the built-in guns.
- This is the only mission in the game which features the FBI Car, since the player earns a 5-star wanted level.
- Although Donald says the plane will come at nighttime, the player can do this mission any time.
- If the plane gets destroyed, the mission will fail. However the packages will not disappear until you collect them. This is also one of the two times the Dead Dodo is featured in the game's missions, the other is S.A.M.
- Love left the player a Predator in the extact place where Ray did in the mission Gone Fishing, using it is the player's choice.