The basic premise of air hockey pits two players against each other in a challenge to push a hockey puck using mallets into the goal of each player on both ends of a table; this requires the player defend their goal while attempting propelling the puck into the opponent's goals. The first person to score seven points wins the game.
In both games, the player can opt to play air hockey against a random pedestrian, or against friends such as Clay Simons or Terry Thorpe in The Lost and Damned, or Armando Torres or Henrique Bardas in The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Air hockey tables are located in the two bowling lanes in Liberty City.
- There is still a unused table outside Hung Drawn & Quarters in Del Perro Pier, Los Santos.
- In The Ballad of Gay Tony, when the player is using the R stick, it sounds like Johnny Klebitz's grunting noise, not Luis'.
- The player and opponent will not move their legs when going left or right, and can be easily seen sliding.
- In GTA IV, all of the Air Hockey tables from Episodes from Liberty City are absent.
- Air Hockey was originally going to be in Grand Theft Auto V, but it was cut before release. [ ]