- "He has a great haircut and says things that make you nod your head"
- — Maurice Chavez
Alex Shrub is a right wing politician who became the youngest state congressman in Florida history.
Shrub is a delusional congressman who knowingly tries to cover up and distract people from the fact that Vice City is going downhill under his term. He cares only about money and has allowed businesses to do as they please, such as legalization of Giggle Cream, a hazardous dessert which has killed 23 people.
Events of GTA Vice City
According to KentPaul.com Shrub was elected to Congress in 1980. According to statements Shrub made on Pressing Issues, legislation he supported "ensured important tax breaks for gun dealers, real estate developers" and "cut the cost of policing, saving the city 2%, or 25 cents per household, over a 6 year period".
Late into the game, Shrub seeks to ban the legal distribution of pornography in Vice City in order to gain favor with the puritan voters of the city. Tommy Vercetti, having just purchased a porn movie making film studio, sketches up a plan to stop this. He sends Shrub's favorite prostitute, Candy Suxxx, to his condo and then proceeds to take pictures of him and Suxxx engaged in cross-dressing. It is implied that Tommy and his film studio director, Steve Scott, later use these pictures to blackmail Shrub into working with the Vercetti Gang.
VCPD Crime Tree Record
Extreme Right Wing congressman. Known philanderer. Will do anything for votes.
- Extreme Right Wing congressman.
- Known philanderer.
- Will do anything for votes.
- Power obsessed. Usual politician.
- Expected to go very far.
- GTA Vice City
- There is a common (but unofficial) perception that Alex Shrub is a caricature of former U.S. president George H. W. Bush and Florida governor Jeb Bush. In addition to their political learning and similar last names (bush and shrub are both kinds of plants, Congressman Shrub's voice is also very similar to that of George H.W. Bush. "Shrub" is also in use as a nickname For U.S. president George W. Bush popularized by Texas columnist Molly Ivins).
- In addition, many of Shrub's political positions appear to be exaggerations or parodies of stereotypically "right wing" positions, such as his claim on VCPR that poor people deserved to be stupid. Conversely his depiction as a young and attractive philanderer is a reference to liberal Democrat and former U.S. president John F. Kennedy.
- In GTA Chinatown Wars, Huang Lee may receive an email from "A. Shrub", talking about politics. It is however, most likely just an easter egg, since neither Alex Shrub was a politic in Liberty City, nor GTA Vice City shares the same timeline as GTA Chinatown Wars.