After the gunfight beneath the Mulholland Intersection that resulted in Sweet being injured and taken into police custody; Carl is kinapped and taken outside of Los Santos to begin performing errands for C.R.A.S.H. The first of these tasks is a favor for Tenpenny, who tells Carl to kill an ex-police officer being held by the FBI under a witness protection program. The witness, who has compromising information about Tenpenny, is hiding in a remote cabin located on Mount Chiliad. Carl, disarmed by the police, and carrying only a camera, is forced to make his way up Mount Chiliad. He then flushes the witness out of the cabin, and chases him down Mount Chiliad as he attempts to flee in a Washington. After Carl kills the witness, he photographs the evidence that he will no longer be talking, and delivers it to a trailer in Angel Pine.
After completing the mission in Angel Pine, the player will receive two phone calls in the first succession. The first phone call is from Cesar Vialpando, who suggests Carl to locate an unknown person who will protect him. The second is from Sweet, now held captive in a prison hospital while receiving treatment for his gunshot wounds.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Kill the witness! Bring back proof.
- Make your way up the mountain to find that snitch.
- He's inside, smoke him out!
- Remember, you need a photo of him in one piece.
- Photograph the body.
- Take the camera to the drop.
- Driving up the mountain using a Ranger or a Rancher is highly recommended, but the Sanchez is just as useful.
- The player may want to buy a Submachine Gun and get a Sanchez in order to blow up the Washington easily. Though the witness may bail out of the car, it would be easy to kill him with the SMG (any SMG will do; it doesn't have to be an MP5, just make sure to have enough rounds to set the car on fire). The guards around the complex also carry Micro-SMGs which can be taken with quick melee attacks if the player doesn't wish to buy weapons.
- The easiest way to finish this mission is to sneak into the forest area west of the cabin. From there, sneak into the door facing the forest area and the witness will be standing inside. The witness will not respond to the player's presence and they can just easily take him down with fists, then take the picture. The only thing left to do is to go to the drop point. This method skips the car chase. This is recommended if the player does not want to waste time or money getting weapons.
- Another simple way is to find the Flamethrower In Flint County (see this map). Ride a motorbike like the Sanchez to the cabin and when a fair distance away, jump off the moving bike. Sprint up to near the cabin wall and switch to the flamethrower, and burn the guards outside the cabin. The flames will go through the wall and should ignite the target, killing him before he even reaches his car. Once the guards out the front are dead, the player can crouch around the outside of the cabin and take care of the rest, then easily photograph the body.
- There is a Micro-SMG located behind the nearby trailer slightly south-east of the Angel Pine Save Point, and Body Armor can be found near the J & J’s Restaurant next to the nearby purchasable safehouse.
- More ammunition can be obtained by killing the FBI agents. Police do not spawn in numbers on the mountain and any wanted level attained goes down quickly.
- A glitch may occur for some players, wherein the game freezes after taking a photograph, so saving before the mission may be beneficial.
- A way of finishing the mission really fast and avoiding the long car chase is to run over an FBI agent with the Sanchez directly behind the cabin, then pick up his Micro-SMG and kill the witness right when he exits the cabin then take the picture. If done quick enough the player will be able to skip the long chase.
- Avoid headshots with any weapon capable of decapitation, such as AK-47, Shotgun or an M4 as the mission will fail if the player is unable to photograph the intact corpse.
- Badlands is the first mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas requiring the use of a camera, and serves as training in its use if the player isn't familiar with it.
- The Washington that the witness drives has a unique San Fierro license plate that reads "ASSMAN".
- If the player manages to destroy the Washington before the witness enters it, he will stand still in the cabin and not move.
- If the player lost his infinite camera received after The Green Sabre, he will receive a new one at the start of this mission.
- If the player somehow loses his camera during this mission, the mission will continue as normal until the player sucessfully kills the target, when the game will tell the player to pick up a new one with 24 films at the drop point.
- FBI agents in this mission are different from the normal ones. They have much lower health, carry Micro SMG insteads of MP5s and don't try to arrest the player if he has wanted stars. Also, they become neutral after the witness escapes in the Washington.