The ball can be used by Franklin to play fetch with Chop, which is an activity that is required for 100% Completion. The ball can be thrown by Franklin, and Chop will run after it to pick it up and return it to Franklin. The ball is mainly just used for the player's entertainment and for Chop, the ball serves for no other purpose and it can't be used as a weapon, as it does no damage.
If the ball is lost or falls underwater, it can only be picked up by Franklin.
- If the ball goes into an area where Chop cannot reach, Franklin will say a sympathetic line to Chop and sometimes call him "little homie".
- The ball is treated like a weapon to NPCs, in which many cases they will try to pick fights with the player if they throw the ball at them. Also, if thrown around a police station or policeman, the player will get a wanted level. As such, the ball can be used to hold up convenience stores. This is due to the category assignment, as the ball acts like a grenade.
- Other interactable balls in the GTA series include:
- A beach ball in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City that spawns at one of the pools in Starfish Island, this particular ball can be used to play Keepie-Uppy Beach Ball.
- Basketballs in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas can be used to play Basketball.
- A big blue ball in Grand Theft Auto V, inside the De Santa Residence.