Barbara is a deputy sheriff who lives in Tierra Robada and serves the desert of Las Venturas. She has two children, both of whom are unseen, and is divorced. Sometimes during dates, Barbara will mention her ex-husband is a "bastard" and that he called her a "control freak", suggesting they split up due to a dysfunctional relationship. This relationship is also mentioned by a quote she says when Carl meets Barbara for the first time; "Hi, I'm Barbara. I'm divorced and have two children. You still interested?".
Barbara's line of work apparently keeps her very busy; she mentions that shallow graves are discovered in her desert jurisdiction every week. The amount of bodies she has to deal with may be because of the Mafia in the nearby Las Venturas, or the work of rogue government agent Mike Toreno, whose ranch is also nearby. However, it seems the mass grave in Bone County was created by Mary-Beth Maybell, judging from her dialogue on the K-Rose station.
Sometimes, Barbara might also talk about a plane crash near The Big Ear. This could be a reference to the mission Dam and Blast, which involves bailing out of a plane, causing it to crash near the Big Ear. However, this may not be the case, as Barbara will talk about it even before the mission's events take place.
Barbara can be found outside the El Quebrados Sheriff's Station and to get her attraction prefers CJ to be fat, although this is not necessary if sex appeal is at maximum, or alternatively if all Oysters have been collected. Once dating is initiated, Barbara can be found at the El Quebrados Sheriff Station between 00:00 and 06:00, or sometimes between 14:00 and 20:00, to take her out on dates.
While on a driving date, Barbara prefers CJ to drive at roughly the same speed as regular traffic. As Barbara is fond of driving around El Quebrados, the player can simply drive around the block until Barbara is satisfied.
The closest dance club is the one near The Camel's Toe in Las Venturas, while another, much further away option is the Gaydar Station in San Fierro. As Barbara dislikes the Queens district (usually stating that the district is dangerous and has a high crime rate) and is further away, it is better to take her to the club in Las Venturas. The player will need 3000 or more points to have a successful date. Both clubs are a considerable distance from Barbara's home, and require quick travel to make it before Barbara gives up on the date. Due to this, it is advised the player brings a car capable of high speeds, such as the Infernus or Turismo, to lessn the time. It is also possible to bring a Maverick to pick her up.
She will ask Carl in for 'coffee' when either all Oysters have been collected, or their relationship reaches 60%.
- Whilst dating Barbara, CJ does not lose his weapons or Body Armor after being Busted.
- At 50%: CJ gains access to her Ranger.
- At 100%: A police uniform is delivered to CJ's wardrobe.
- Barbara's home is never seen; all pick up and meeting points with her are one and the same - at the El Quebrados Sheriff Station. If conditions are met to be asked in for 'coffee' after a successful date, the sexual activity will occur inside the Sheriff Station.
- Strangely, it is sometimes possible in the iOS version of the game for the player to date Barbara without having over 50% fat and/or having collected all Oysters.
- Most of Barbara's textures are actually reused from other pedestrians; Her face is recycled (although made much wider) from the black Los Santos prostitute, while her shirt is actually taken from the dress of a rich Hispanic woman.
- Barbara's Ranger's license plate reads CUFFS.
- There is a glitch that occurs when she finishes beating up a pedestrian, where she will pull out a gun and start shooting the player.
- Since she gives Carl a LSPD uniform after getting 100%, it is possible that she or her ex-husband used to work for LSPD. Due to her being stationed in El Quebrados, she more than likely now works for the rural police or sheriff's department of Bone County.
- She is probably a Sheriff Lieutenant of her County Sheriff's Department or rural police.
- Schternvart's character model can be seen on the movie posters for the films The Mainframe and Silent But Violent in GTA Liberty City Stories.