- "It's Mom. She's dead."
- ―Sweet telling his brother about Beverly's death
Beverly Johnson is a character mentioned in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Beverly Johnson raised her family in a house on Grove Street, Ganton area of the town of Los Santos; they were residing there by 1968, as Sweet claims Carl was born in the house, however it is likely they have been living there for longer. In 1987, Beverly Johnson lost her youngest son Brian, who died in a tragic accident. Sweet blamed Carl for the death. Beverly Johnson however emotionally lost another one of her sons that day, Carl, who moved from Los Santos to Liberty City.
Beverly Johnson was associated with the Grove Street Families, a gang that had control of Ganton, and the area where Beverly Johnson and her family lived. The association was through her son (Sweet) running the gang. It is unknown as to whether Beverly Johnson participated in gang activity.
Beverly had an operation performed sometime between 1987 and 1992, and in Los Desperados it is mentioned Sweet committed robberies in order to finance it.
In 1992, two Ballas members, under the orders of corrupt LSPD officers Frank Tenpenny and Eddie Pulaski, attempted a drive-by shooting at Beverly's house, in order to attempt to kill Sweet. However, Sweet was not in the house, and instead Beverly was killed. Sweet ran into the house, to discover his mother dead. Kendl also ran toward the house, but was stopped from entering by Sweet.
The death of Beverly Johnson is what brings Carl back to Los Santos and reunites Carl and Sweet. The death of Beverly Johnson takes place just before the beginning of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and at the end of The Introduction DVD.
- GTA San Andreas
- A pedestrian with the same model as Beverly Johnson's photo can be seen in the richer areas of Los Santos and Las Venturas. Her pedestrian model is marked internally as BFORI (Black-Female-Old-Rich).
- Beverly's death is similar to Kate McReary's in Grand Theft Auto IV, as the two were accidentally killed in a drive-by when Sweet/Niko were meant to be killed.
- The fact that Sweet prevented Kendl from entering the house immediately after Beverly's murder, as well as Eddie Pulaski's taunts during High Noon, suggest that Beverly was mutilated by the gunshots that took her life. This can also be noticed by how disgusted Sweet sounds when he enters the house and see his mother's corpse.
- When getting a haircut at Reece's Hair & Facial Studio, Old Reece sometimes says that "your Moms used to choose your styles".