The Boxcar is an unused freight railcar in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that would have been hauled by the Freight. Very little is known about it, or why it was ultimately unused. It returns in Grand Theft Auto V.
GTA: San Andreas
The Boxcar is a dirty, rusty light blue-grey railcar that seems to have been based on a European style goods van. This is evident by the buffers and somewhat rounded top, two features not commonly seen on North American freight cars. Even though the doors on either side of the car are both open, CJ cannot jump in, as there is an invisible wall. The car has no couplers (Part used to connect railcars), suggesting it was never really finished.
The Boxcar comes in two varieties; A yellow one bearing the word "FREIGHT" a large "F" (Clearly parodying TTX's "Railbox"), as well as an older looking brown one with a door on one end. The Ballas member D hid inside a boxcar from Franklin and Chop. They eventually found and captured him.
- There exists another variant of the Boxcar, actually used ingame, but as scenery, not a vehicle. It is a yellow boxcar that resembles an American one much more closely, dropping the buffers and flattening the roof. These can be found with their doors open or not parked in a warehouse in Ocean Docks, Los Santos.
- Even though the Boxcar lacks couplers, it can be hauled without a hitch as if they were there.
- Boxcars return in Grand Theft Auto IV, once again as scenery. They can be found around the map's abandoned rail lines. Flatcars and tankcars can also be found. They are all rusted out and are more or less useless.
- It should be noted that modding Boxcars onto the Freights will make certain missions impossible to complete (Like "Catalyst" or "Green Goo"), as they were made to use Flatcars.
- According to the Grand Theft Auto Online reveal trailer, boxcars are to return in Grand Theft Auto V, once again being hauled by Freights.
- The yellow variant ("FREIGHT") of the Boxcar in GTA V is clearly a parody of TTX Company's "Railbox", which was known also as RBOX or FBOX.
- In the Content Creator in GTA Online, the Boxcar is available as a form of a road block object.