- "Time to go to work, CJ, and earn your freedom. There's a guy holed up across town...Another gangbanging', drug pushing', cop killing' bitch just like you. We don't like him and he doesn't like us. Now, you make sure he never leaves the neighborhood...not even in a box."
- ―Frank Tenpenny
Burning Desire is the first mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas given to protagonist Carl Johnson by C.R.A.S.H. officers Frank Tenpenny, Eddie Pulaski and Jimmy Hernandez from the Jim's Sticky Ring donut shop in the Market district of Los Santos, San Andreas.
Carl enters the doughnut shop and is spotted by Frank Tenpenny, who tells him to come and sit with them. Tenpenny and Pulaski act with hostility towards Carl, with Tenpenny reminding him that C.R.A.S.H. owns him. Tenpenny then informs Carl of a 'gangbanging, drug-pushing, cop-killing bitch' holed up in a building in East Los Santos that doesn't like them. Tenpenny tells Carl that he wants the gangster dead.
Carl first heads to an alleyway in Downtown to collect some molotov cocktails that C.R.A.S.H. had left, before heading over to the building in East Los Santos. Carl kills the Los Santos Vagos gangsters surrounding the building and then throws molotov cocktails into five windows around the building. The 'holed up' man, a member of the Los Santos Vagos, runs out of the building, on fire, and dies.
Carl then notices a girl trapped inside. To save her, Carl enters the building and gets to the upstairs bedroom she is in. Then, using a fire extinguisher he obtains from the kitchen, he puts out fires blocking their way, helping the girl escape the building. The girl graciously thanks, Carl, and asks him to bring her to her house. Once there, she introduces herself as Denise Robinson, and both of them agree to meet some time later.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Tenpenny has hidden some molotovs in an alleyway in Downtown Los Santos. Pick them up
- You've got some molotovs. Go to the gang house and torch it
- Torch the house. Throw molotovs into the 5 downstairs windows - that'll make it burn
- You've trapped a girl inside the burning building. You'll have to save her
- Take the fire extinguisher upstairs and rescue the girl
- Drive the girl to her house
- Completing the Firefighter side mission before attempting this mission will make Carl fireproof, which can help make this mission easier.
There is no monetary reward for completing the mission, although the player can collect some money inside the house. The missions Doberman and Gray Imports are unlocked. Carl also gains some molotov cocktails and a fire extinguisher, whilst Denise becomes Carl's girlfriend.
- While approaching the house, there is a Vagos member standing outside who appears to be talking on a cell phone. Upon closer inspection (using a camera or sniper rifle), the gang member is actually holding a pistol against his ear. This is because outside of cutscenes, Carl is the only character able to use a cell phone.
- It is possible to collect up to $1,000 from the burning house. There are $500 next to the bed in the bedroom where Denise is waiting to be saved and another $500 on the first floor's living room.
- Even if Carl already has molotov cocktails in his inventory before starting the mission, the game will still force the player to collect them from the alleyway.
- The interior of the donut shop says "Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts", even though the exterior of the building says "Jim's Sticky Ring".