- "... so, keep quei bastardi dei Leone tied down in Portland, and when my associates control this city, you'll be taken care of. Ci pensiamo noi."
- — Massimo Torini
Calm Before the Storm is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories given to protagonist Toni Cipriani by Joseph Daniel O'Toole from Paulie's Revue Bar in the Red Light District of Portland Island, Liberty City.
Toni drops by Paulie's Revue Bar, where JD informs him that the Sicilians are trying to broker a peace between the families. However, Salvatore thinks he smells a rat and wants someone to follow Massimo Torini. Toni is required to head to Sal's home within two in-game hours (two real-life minutes) before Torini flies off in a helicopter, so as to be able to follow him and investigate.
Torini first lands in Hepburn Heights, where he meets the Diablos and promises them Hepburn Heights if they help the Sicilians. Torini then flies to Chinatown and meets the Triads on a rooftop, informing them that if they co-operate with the Sicilians they will be "taken care of". The Triads, however, spot Toni. Torini flies off in the helicopter, whilst Toni kills all hostile Triad members in the vicinity in order to return to Salvatore Leone with the information.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Reach Salvatore's mansion. Massimo is leaving soon
- Follow Massimo. Don't lose him
- He's moving off...follow him again...
- You'll need to get in closer...
- You've been spotted! Take out the Triads
- This mission marks the first time in the GTA series that the main antagonist is introduced in a mission other than the first mission or opening cutscene. This is followed by the mission Crime and Punishment in Grand Theft Auto IV.
- This mission reveals creation of the Triads and Diablos.
- The name may be a reference to the final mission, which is considered a follow-up and features the only instance of stormy weather in the game.
- During the cutscene where Torini meets with the Triads, Toni is seen crouching behind some barrels. However, the ability to crouch is absent from the game.
- This mission is notorious for a bug which causes the game to crash on the iOS port, after the cutscenes when Torini lands his helicopter on the rooftop at Chinatown
|PS2 Version||iOS Version|