- "... so, keep quei bastardi dei Leone tied down in Portland, and when my associates control this city, you'll be taken care of. Ci pensiamo noi."
- — Massimo Torini
Calm Before the Storm is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories given to protagonist Toni Cipriani by Joseph Daniel O'Toole from Paulie's Revue Bar in the Red Light District of Portland Island, Liberty City.
Toni drops by Paulie's Revue Bar, where JD informs him that Massimo Torini, a member of the Sicilian Mafia, is heading to Liberty City in an attempt to broker a peace truce between the families. However, Salvatore is suspicious and wants someone to follow Torini. Toni heads to Salvatore's house before Torini takes off in a helicopter, where Toni follows the helicopter to investigate.
Torini first lands in Hepburn Heights, where he meets the Diablos and promises them Hepburn Heights if they help the Sicilians. Torini then flies to Chinatown and meets the Triads on a rooftop, informing them that if they co-operate with the Sicilians they will be "taken care of". The Triads, however, spot Toni. Torini flies off in the helicopter, whilst Toni kills all hostile Triad members in the vicinity in order to return to Salvatore Leone with the information.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Reach Salvatore's mansion. Massimo is leaving soon
- Follow Massimo. Don't lose him
- He's moving off...follow him again...
- You'll need to get in closer...
- You've been spotted! Take out the Triads
- This mission is notorious for a bug which causes the game to crash on the iOS port, after the cutscenes when Torini lands his helicopter on the rooftop at Chinatown. This is however fixed in the Android port.
|PS2 Version||iOS Version|
- This mission marks the first time in the GTA series that the main antagonist is introduced outside of the first mission or opening cutscene.
- During the cutscene where Torini meets with the Triads, Toni is seen crouching behind some barrels. However, the ability to crouch is absent from the game.