Although chimpanzees never appear in normal gameplay, several of them appear in various missions and other aspects of the game:
- In the mission "Did Somebody Say Yoga?", Michael has a bizarre drug-induced hallucination in which he is in an alleyway surrounded by angry chimpanzees.
- They can be seen in the Humane Labs during the Humane Labs Raid heist. They throw a fit after hearing gunfire and killing them is optional and has no effect on the heist.
- They can also be seen in the Humane Labs heist in GTA Online, probably one of the only animal appearences in multiplayer.
- A chimp actor named Chippy appears in the film Meltdown, acting as the stereotypical animal comic relief of many modern movies.
- Three Masturbating Monkeys, a group of self-pleasuring chimps, go on to win Fame or Shame.
- They also appear in the movie trailer The Simian; at first one is shown being chased by the military, then many are shown invading a city, using weapons including a Minigun and even driving a Sanchez.