Cities, in the Grand Theft Auto games are large population centres. Many GTA games contain only one city, but Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V contain multiple.
GTA games are replete with fictional cities, many of which are based on real-life locations:
- Liberty City is based on New York City in the 2D Universe, 3D Universe and HD Universe. Liberty City is the most used city so far, but each are differently rendered in each game and Era. This also includes Ghost Town.
- Alderney is technically a separate state to Liberty City in the HD Universe, containing Alderney City (Jersey City and Newark).
- San Andreas in Grand Theft Auto 1 is based on San Francisco. San Andreas in GTA San Andreas is an entire state comprised of three major cities: Los Santos (Los Angeles), San Fierro (San Francisco) and Las Venturas (Las Vegas). During GTA V, San Andreas is also a state, made up of Los Santos (Los Angeles) and the incorporated cities of Davis (Compton), Del Perro (Santa Monica) and Rockford Hills (Beverly Hills).
- Ludendorff is a city featured in GTA V and can only be seen during Prologue and Bury the Hatchet.
- London is a rendition of the real city in (Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 and Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961).
- Manchester is a rendition of the real city in (GTA London 1969 and GTA London 1961).
- Vice City is a counterpart to Miami (GTA, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories).
- Anywhere City in Grand Theft Auto 2 is not based on any specific city.
- Carcer City is most likely Detroit or Philadelphia, and is said to be neighboring Liberty City. Whilst not featured in any game, it is mentioned in Grand Theft Auto III, GTA San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, GTA IV and GTA V; and is the setting for Manhunt.
- Cottonmouth in Manhunt 2 is likely based on Tampa, FL and has various references to other GTA Cities.
- Bullworth is the setting for Bully. Has various references to the GTA Series.One for example, on television in GTA IV. Situated in New England.
- Capital City is a city mentioned in the miles traveled stats of GTA IV. It is possibly based on Washington, D.C. (United States Capital) or Albany (New York's Capital).
- Ludendorff is one of three locations to feature snowfall, the others being Los Santos (during Christmas time in both GTA V and Online) and Liberty City (during the mission Saint Mark's Bistro in GTA San Andreas).