- "If you want to create a major hydro-electric plant, then you need a dam. Liberty City has one of its own and it's named after someone famous called Mr. Cochrane."
- — GTA III Website.
The Cochrane Dam is a large hydroelectric dam located in the northwest corner of Shoreside Vale in Liberty City, which appears in Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto Advance, and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
The dam is one of Shoreside Vale's most recognizable landmarks. A road runs along the top of the dam, linking the two halves of Shoreside Vale, two intake towers are connected to the top of the dam via walkways, and the lower section of the dam includes the generator building and several shipping containers. The lower section is accessible via a one-land track. An M-16 spawns at the dam's helipad. A Shotgun spawns somewhere near the generator building.
In Grand Theft Auto III, the dam features prominently in the final story mission, The Exchange, in which the protagonist, Claude, kills dozens of Colombian Cartel, well armed gang members, and their leader Catalina in a showdown on the lower level of the dam.
- The roadway across the top of the dam, despite having heavy traffic, is rendered more like a pathway than a standard road, and vehicles often have to swerve to avoid pedestrians strolling along the same route.
- The dam was named after Adam Cochrane, who worked as a 3D artist during the production of Grand Theft Auto III.
- The dam's structure bears a resemblance between the real life Hoover and Grand Parana dams.
- The dam was smaller in the beta version of GTA III.
- It's possible to drive the walls of the dam, but only with a fast car like the Stinger.