The Combat Sniper is a semi-automatic sniper rifle available in the Grand Theft Auto series.
In the 3D universe, the rifle is equipped with both a telescopic sight and a red laser point sight. It has a seven bullet magazine, allowing for (brief) rapid firing, in contrast to the bolt-action mechanism of the regular Sniper Rifle. The H&K SR9 T rifle was first featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and is also seen in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. The rifle is labeled as the "PSG-1" only in the PS2 Version of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; all other versions label it .308 Sniper, and it is labeled Laser Sighted Sniper Rifle in Liberty City Stories. It also has a suppressor but serves no purpose other than aesthetics. In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, the SR9 T is replaced by a Dragunov SVD, and it is referred to as "Laser Sniper".
The PSG-1 in Grand Theft Auto IV is referred to in-game as the Combat Sniper. It has a ten-round magazine, and excellent range. The reticule used is not a standard mil-dot, but the graduated sight found on the Russian SVD Dragunov's PSO-1 scope. During first-person aiming, if the player is standing, there is a noticeable movement of the scope due to Niko Bellic's breathing. This can be minimized by crouching. The Combat Sniper rifle delivers a one-headshot kill in single player and multiplayer, unless the target is armored. It will also kill with about 3 shots to the body. It can easily take down pedestrians, drivers, motorcyclists and, with patience and extreme accurancy, take down helicopter pilots.
GTA: Vice City
- Downtown - Available to buy at Ammu-Nation after completion of Shakedown ($6,000).
- Little Havana - On the roof of a building by the Kaufman Cabs billboard directly east of Café Robina. Use the set of stairs behind this building to access.
- Available at the Vercetti Estate, Hyman Condo and Ocean View Hotel after collecting 50 hidden packages.
GTA: Liberty City Stories
- Fort Staunton, Staunton Island - On the balcony of Ristorante Ecoli. It is easiest to acquire this weapon after the mission "Bringing the House Down" — due to the height of the balcony, it is very difficult to acquire this gun while the restaurant is still intact.
- Available at hideouts after finding 70 Hidden Packages.
GTA: Vice City Stories
- Washington Beach - Spawns on the roof of the police station.
- Vice Point - Available at the Ammu-Nation shop for $8,000.
- Price decreases to $4,000 one the player beats Phil's Shooting Range.
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Combat Sniper can be purchased from the back-alley gun shops for $8,500 and each additional magazine will cost $500. It is also available from Little Jacob, Terry Thorpe in TLAD, and Armando Torres in TBoGT for $5,000, with each additional magazine costing $500. It can also be acquired from certain LCPD officers attempting to snipe the player from rooftops such as the rooftops of Chinatown and of The Exchange.
- Hatton Gardens - Can be found atop the roof of the Civilization Committee building on Albany Ave, resting on the peak of the black dome. This roof also contains a unique stunt jump. Players are advised to acquire this rifle only as a last resort, since any entry onto the CC premises triggers a four-star wanted level.
- Acter - Can be found on the roof of an apartment complex off Aspdin Drive. A helicopter is required, as there is no roof access from the ground.
- Acter Industrial Park - Can be found atop another crude oil refining tower on Trinity Rd on the southwestern end of the Acter Industrial Park.
There is a glitch in GTA IV that if you keep crouching and shooting at the same time, the weapon's rate of fire will increase.
- The GTA Liberty City Stories PSG-1 reuses the beta GTA Vice City model found in the PS2 files.
- The HUD icon in GTA Vice City Stories shows a PSG-1, indicating that Rockstar was intending to use a PSG in Vice City Stories, but it was cut during the development of the game.
- The PSG-1 was going to appear in GTA San Andreas, but it was removed for whatever reason, although it can be seen in Ammu-Nation, and the Sniper Rifle's HUD icon resembles the PSG-1.
- The PSG-1 in Vice City is one of the most powerful weapons in the game sans explosive devices such as the Rocket Launcher. A full magazine will easily destroy any unarmored vehicles in the game and make some missions such as "All Hands on Deck" a cinch to complete. It is this unbalance why the weapon was probably taken out of GTA:SA.