The players are put into one of two teams, Hunters or Runners. Depending on the number of players in the session, the Runners team will have a player limit of 2 or 3. The Runners team's objective is to make it to the escape zone within ten real-time minutes. The Hunters team's objective is to stop them.
The Hunters have unlimited lives, whilst the Runners only have one life each. If the Hunters manage to kill all of the Runners, then the Hunters win the round. The Hunters will also win the round when the ten minutes is up. If one of the Runners make it to the escape zone, then the Runners will win the round.
Hunters are armed only with a Sawed-Off Shotgun, whilst Runners have an arsenal of weapons at their disposal.
There are five Come Out to Play missions in GTA Online, each one at a different location. They are as follows:
- Come Out to Play I: Runners start in Raton Canyon, with the escape zone in Paleto Cove. Hunters use Sanchez bikes.
- Come Out to Play II: Runners start on Covenant Avenue, with the escape zone at Vanilla Unicorn. Hunters use Sanchez bikes.
- Come Out to Play III: Runners start at the Bayview Lodge, with the escape zone at the tunnel in the Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness. Hunters use Sanchez bikes.
- Come Out to Play IV: Runners start at the Paleto Bay Sheriff's Office, with the escape zone the other side of Paleto Bay. Hunters use Blazers.
- Come Out to Play V: Runners start at the Redwood Lights Track, with the escape zone at the Rebel Radio Building. Hunters use Blazers.
- Come Out To Play references the famous line used as a taunt by the character Luther in 1979 film The Warriors.
- Additionally, the game mode elaborates in reaching a safe point while being hunted relentlessly by others, which is the theme of the movie/book The Warriors, where the gang of the same name must reach home in Coney Island after having a price on their head from murdering an important gang member.