Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "He has a great haircut and says things that make you nod your head"
- ―Maurice Chavez
According to KentPaul.com, Shrub was elected to Congress in 1980, becoming the youngest state congressman in Vice City history. At an unknown point in time, Shrub married his wife Laura, though their marriage appears to be unhappy, with Shrub describing his wife as "hideous" on Pressing Issues, and his VCPD profile claims he is a "known philanderer".
Shrub is a pragmatic and amoral congressman who knowingly tries to cover up and distracts people from the fact that Vice City is going downhill under his term. He cares only about money and has allowed businesses to do as they please, such as legalisation of Giggle Cream, a hazardous dessert which has killed 23 people. He also has an open contempt for the poor saying they were "too stupid" to understand what he was saying during his campaign so he gave out candy bars to "appeal to their basest of instincts", hates the very concept of sharing, doesn't believe people should elect their leaders, and believes that people without jobs should starve. He also hates liberals and wants to make it legal to allow them to be beaten with sticks.
According to statements Shrub made on Pressing Issues, legislation he supported "ensured important tax breaks for gun dealers, real estate developers" and "cut the cost of policing, saving the city 2%, or 25 cents per household, over a 6 year period".
Events of GTA Vice City
Later in the game, Shrub seeks to ban the legal distribution of pornography in Vice City in order to gain favor with the puritan voters of the city. Tommy Vercetti, having just purchased a pornographic film studio, sketches up a plan to stop this. He sends Shrub's favorite prostitute, Candy Suxxx, to his condo and then proceeds to take pictures of him and Suxxx engaged in cross-dressing.
VCPD Crime Tree Record
Extreme Right Wing congressman. Known philanderer. Will do anything for votes.
- Extreme Right Wing congressman.
- Known philanderer.
- Will do anything for votes.
- Power obsessed. Usual politician.
- Expected to go very far.
- GTA Vice City
- There is a common (but unofficial) perception that Alex Shrub is a caricature of former U.S. president George H. W. Bush and Florida governor Jeb Bush. In addition to their political learning and similar last names, bush and shrub are both kinds of plants, Congressman Shrub's voice is also very similar to that of George H.W. Bush. "Shrub" is also in use as a nickname For U.S. president George W. Bush popularized by Texas columnist Molly Ivins. As if that's not enough, Alex Shrub is a Congressman looking to be President. While George Bush Jr. was one of the youngest Texas governor who then became President while Jeb is one of the youngest Florida Gov. who may also have plans to become President. Like George W. Bush Jr., his wife's name is Laura.
- In addition, many of Shrub's political positions appear to be exaggerations or parodies of stereotypically "right wing" positions, such as his claim on VCPR that poor people deserved to be stupid. Conversely his depiction as a young and attractive philanderer is a reference to liberal Democrat and former U.S. president John F. Kennedy.
- There is an Easter egg in GTA Chinatown Wars, where Huang Lee receives an email from "A. Shrub", talking about politics.
- Shrub's ""ensured important tax breaks for gun dealers, real estate developers" and "cut the cost of policing, saving the city 2%, or 25 cents per household, over a 6 year period" position is an obvious pun on Conservatives, especially Republican economic position of "Trickle Down Economics". This was especially popular and propagated under Ronald Reagan during the 1980s.
- Shrub is heard speaking in both missions he appears in, but he does not move his mouth in either of them.