- "They're cute, but they're dumb."
- — Trevor Philips after running over a coyote.
Coyotes can be found and hunted in Blaine County. If the protagonist approaches the coyote flees in the opposite direction. They can be run over along with shot and/or beaten to death. If you shoot a coyote in the leg, it can limit its mobility; only being able to walk instead of run.
- In the mission Target Practice, Cletus tasks Trevor to shoot down three coyotes with a Sniper Rifle.
- Also, in the Hunting minigame the player can sometimes be challenged to kill a coyote with a shotgun, however it is not obligatory. A coyote kill is worth two points.
- Coyotes mostly travel in packs and are mostly found in desert regions such as Sandy Shores, although they can be found in other areas of the map.
- A Coyote will always run across the Senora Freeway towards the Davis Quartz Quarry, when travelling north under the Senora Way bridge that crosses the freeway. It generally runs across when the player is near it, so if the player is travelling at high speeds, they may be oblivious to it, and hit it.
- Some online walkthroughs indicate that coyotes are dangerous and may attack the protagonist likes cougars do, but coyotes tend to run away instead when encountered.
- Coyotes were also featured in Rockstar San Diego's game Red Dead Redemption. These coyotes also travel in packs were mostly passive, but would often attack the player unlike the coyotes featured in the game. They also share the same sound files.
- Unlike real life, where coyotes are tamable, in the game they are not tamable.
- In the enhanced versions of GTA V, the fur colour of wild coyotes changes from cadet blue to a light gray.
- ↑ New GTA V features revealed: customizable pet dogs, wild animal hunting, underwater missions, and more!, VR-ZONE, July 16th 2013.