- "Enough! We settle this here!"
- ― The Snakehead
The Da Nang Thang is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, given to protagonist Carl Johnson by Mountain Cloud Boys leader Wu Zi Mu from his apartment in the Chinatown district of San Fierro, San Andreas.
Carl bumps into Woozie just as he is about to leave his apartment. Suddenly, Little Lion, a Triad gang member, calls Woozie and informs him of the Da Nang Boys having arrived on a freighter ship on the San Fierro Bay and have brought along some Vietnamese refugees and locked them in a container.
Carl rushes to the apartment's roof and meets Little Lion who is about to fly towards the ship with his Maverick. Carl enters the helicopter and the two fly over to the shipment in the middle of the sea. Carl, prepared for an attack, starts killing every Da Nang Boy he spots with a minigun and after a brief moment, one of the Da Nang Boys manages to shoot down the helicopter with a rocket launcher. Little Lion gets taken out and CJ survives the attack, but loses all his weapons and is left with only a knife and, if the player has any, armor.
Carl climbs the ladders onto the ship and kills several Da Nang Boys, continuing his way around until he finds the prisoners and frees them. One of the refugees tells him where The Snakehead, the Da Nang Boys' leader, is located. Carl makes his way to the Snakehead and is handed a katana. During the swordfight, Carl kills the Snakehead and then, along with the refugees, escapes in a Dinghy.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Take out the Da Nang Boys on the ship
- Swim over to the freighter
- Make your way down to the hull of the ship. Be as quiet for as long as possible
- Take out the refugees' guard
- Shoot the padlock on the front of the refugees' container
- Leave no one alive on the bridge
- Kill The Snakehead
- Go back and meet the refugees. They will lower some dinghies into the water
- Little Lion - Killed by the Da Nang Boys.
- The Snakehead - Killed by Carl Johnson on orders from Wu Zi Mu.
Tips and Tricks
- Since this mission results in the loss of all the player's weapons, it is advised to undertake this mission before completing the other missions for Jizzy and the Doherty Garage.
- It isn't necessary to get on the boat immediately after the helicopter is shot down. Therefore, it is possible to swim to shore, drive to Ammunation, and return fully armed. In addition to this, a Tec-9 can be found close by under the Gant Bridge, behind Jizzy's Pleasure Domes, next to the right column, if the player doesn't want to spend a long time buying weapons.
- Alternatively, the player can obtain guns from the gang members on the ship, as the gang member that the player encounters after boarding the ship has a shotgun, and the other gang members have Tec-9s.
- Even though the Snakehead gives Carl a katana, the player can use a firearm instead.
- In fact, the player doesn't even need to confront the Snakehead. After killing the two gang members guarding the bridge, if the player slowly walks up the stairs, they can shoot the Snakehead without triggering the cutscene where he gives Carl a katana.
- Even if the player is unarmed or has a different melee weapon, Carl will automatically receive a knife after the helicopter is shot down.
- After the helicopter is destroyed, the player can visit restaurants to regain health. The restaurants function normally, but the staff will have no dialogue when serving CJ.
- On rare occasions, due to the ship's height, a plane may crash into it, killing the Snakehead and his guards. This causes Carl to automatically meet up with the hostages.
- The mission's name - The Da Nang Thang - is the actual translation of "Da Nang Boys". Thang (Thằng) is a second person speaking of "he", but in Vietnamese, which means the whole translation of the mission name can be literally understood as Bon Da Nang (Bọn Đà Nẵng), or The Boys from Da Nang.
- It is impossible to gain a wanted level during this mission.