- "Old industrial neighborhood under heavy development as yuppies and businessmen move in as fast as they can."
- ―GTA San Andreas Website.
It is an industrial area located in the southeastern portion of the city, and is in the process of being renovated (Likely because of the recent earthquake that shook San Fierro), an example of which being the building site next to CJ's garage (the district's need for renovation would later become significantly heightened after CJ destroys the Loco Syndicate's drug factory). To the north is King's; to the west is Garcia; to the south is Foster Valley, and to the east are Easter Basin and Easter Bay International Airport.
Doherty is modeled after San Francisco's Dogpatch district, which is also an industrial area situated below a major freeway and next to the waterfront. Like Doherty, Dogpatch has been experiencing a renewal, with new construction projects, a burgeoning arts scene, and other signs of gentrification.
Doherty is also home to members of San Fierro Rifa, who will occasionally accost CJ and question his gang-banging status, with a positive response guaranteeing a physical confrontation. Prominent hang-out spots include in front of the Doherty Garage and in front of the Brown Streak Railroad-served Cranberry Station.
Events of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Doherty is the first stop for Carl Johnson after entering San Fierro, as he heads for the garage he won in a race against Claude and Catalina, which turns out to be an abandoned Xoomer gas station. Kendl persuades Carl to ignore his frustration over feeling cheated, and to instead transform the defunct garage into a new business. Carl then befriends and employs Dwaine, Jethro and Zero, who, along with Cesar Vialpando, begin to run the garage, turning it into a successful chop-shop.
Some of the workers at the construction zone are being a nuisance to Kendl, so Carl goes and sorts them out by destroying some of the portable buildings with a Dozer and then murdering the supervisor.
Carl destroys a large structure in Doherty that was being used by the Loco Syndicate as a drug factory. He also purchases a safehouse just south of his garage, and later purchases Wang Cars, a car dealership located on the border of Doherty, King's, and Downtown. This dealership's success is achieved through numerous car thefts by Carl and Cesar. Carl continues to run both automobile businesses throughout Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Places of Interest
- Burger Shot
- Carl Johnson's Garage
- Harry Plums Wholesale Fruit
- Pay 'n' Spray
- Solarin Industries (known as Shady Industries in the PS2 version)
- Stiphes Mortuary
- Wang Cars
- Yay Factory
- Grenade (after photographing all 50 snapshots)
- Micro Uzi (after photographing all 50 snapshots)
- Pool Cue
- Shotgun (x2) (one spawning location is triggered after photographing all 50 snapshots)
- Sniper Rifle (after photographing all 50 snapshots)
- Black Boxville
- Bullet (x2) (one spawning location is triggered only if earned all silver medals in driving school)
- Elegy (only after Test Drive)
- Fire Truck (both in side mission vehicle and non-side mission vehicle versions)
- Hotknife (only if earned all gold medals in driving school)
- Huntley (only when wanted for export)
- Savanna (only after Customs Fast Track)
- Stratum (only after Puncture Wounds)
- Sultan (only after Test Drive)
- Super GT (only if earned all bronze medals in driving school)
- Uranus (only after Zeroing In)
- Doherty is one of the many districts in San Fierro where gay and lesbian couples can be seen holding hands or kissing.
|Neighborhoods, districts and areas in San Fierro, San Andreas|
|Avispa Country Club • Battery Point • Calton Heights • Chinatown • City Hall • Doherty • Downtown • Easter Basin • Easter Bay International Airport • Esplanade East • Esplanade North • Financial • Foster Valley • Garcia • Hashbury • Juniper Hill • Juniper Hollow • King's • Missionary Hill • Ocean Flats • Palisades • Paradiso • Queens • Santa Flora|