ECola is a soft drink brand featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City and Grand Theft Auto V, its color implying it is a caricature of Coca-Cola and the logo is similar to Pepsi Cola.
The ECola name first appears in GTA Vice City Stories in the form of red non-interactive vending machines scattered throughout Vice City. In GTA IV, however, ECola vending machines, like those of Sprunk, may be used by the player to replenish their health - however, they only dispense Orang-O-Tang. The player can also purchase an eCola background for their upgraded phone via Vipluxuryringtones.com. Because it competes with Sprunk in the soft drink market, ECola and Sprunk machines can often be found together. There is some ECola stores in East Holland, Algonquin and Industrial, Bohan. In GTA, Yankee trucks may appear with an all-red ECola livery, complete with ECola logos on the sides.
In Grand Theft Auto V, the player can purchase and drink ECola cans that can be bought from convenience stores and vending machines.
The ECola name is a play on the E. coli bacteria and the Ebola virus; the company's slogan even states the drink is "Deliciously infectious!", which could imply that the drink is contaminated. The name also sounds like "Ricola", a brand of cough drops.
- In GTA IV and GTA V, when you buy an ECola from a vending machine, a Sprunk comes out, instead of an ECola.
- This is because the player chooses Sprunk, instead of ECola (there are multiple drinks to choose from, even if the machine sports the livery of ECola).
- The ECola glass bottles on the vending machines are much like older Dr. Pepper glass bottles.
- The ECola logo has some similitudes with the Orangina logo.
- In GTA IV, Sprunk and ECola were competing against each other in the market but in real life Sprite and Coca-Cola are both owned by the same company.
- Similar to Coca-Cola, ECola was once produced with cocaine as an ingredient.