The Elysian Fields Freeway is an east-west highway in southern Los Santos that serves as a freeway bypass of Route 22 through the Port of Los Santos. Its carried by Elysian Freeway Bridge and is a major connector between East Los Santos and LSIA.
From the west, The four-lane elevated freeway continues from the La Puerta Freeway at an off-ramp into the Port. As soon as it touches ground after the Desmond Bridge, it hooks north along the Murrieta Oil Field, and crosses El Rancho Boulevard at the intersection of routes 17 and 18. It becomes a proper freeway at this point (widening up to six or eight lanes) as it reaches the the intersection of the Interstate 4/Route 15. From there it continues as the Del Perro Freeway (Interstate 2).
- In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields were the section of the underworld in which the heroic dead would reside.
- The Elysian Fields Freeway is a reference to the Elysian Fields Development Company which is featured promninently in the story of L.A. Noire, another videogame released by Rockstar.
- Also, being a freeway, it may reference Elysian Fields Development's involvement in a scheme by the Suburban Redevelopment Fund to defraud the government by overvaluing property that would be bought up for freeway construction.
- Its name could also be a reference to Elysian Park, located near Downtown Los Angeles.
- Route 20 is loosely based on Interstate 710 or the Long Beach Freeway that runs north to south in Los Angeles County as it roughly parallels the Los Santos Storm Drain just as I-710 parallels the Los Angeles River down to the city's seaport. Interstate 710 passes through mostly industrial areas in central to south Los Angeles just as much as Route 20 does in game (La Mesa, Cypress Flats, Murietta Oil Field). The Elysian Freeway Bridge also carries the freeway over water at the port similar to the real life Gerald Desmond Bridge carries I-710 into the Port of Long Beach.