|This article refers to the 2014 release. For the 2015 update of the same name, see Festive Surprise 2015. For the 2016 update of the same name, see Festive Surprise 2016.|
The Festive Surprise is a content update for Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, released on December 18, 2014 updating to version 1.19 on PS3 and Xbox 360 and Online to version 1.21 (Story Mode to 1.05) on PS4 and Xbox One.
The update features all of the content from the Holiday Gifts update, along with new Christmas-themed content. Four new vehicles have been added, including the Vapid Slamvan, Rat-Truck, Massacro (Racecar), and Jester (Racecar). Over ninety new festive clothing options and two new weapons, the Homing Launcher and Proximity Mines, are available. These are free, but available for a limited time while vehicles and the new weapons remain permanently available for purchase. Christmas trees have been added to all apartments. Also, thirty new tattoos are purchasable at all Tattoo Parlors. Snow also returned the game for a limited time.
Special Crate Drops
Special crate drops will also be dropping unlimited copies of the past events each day. Each day a new unique item and after that 24 hour they will be unobtainable. This includes, beer hats and many limited edition T-Shirts. The GTA: Online servers run on a GMT timezone so it is important to know when the servers update to the next special item.
New Crate Items:
- The Base 5 T-Shirt can be found in crates as the clothing brand makes a return from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- The Crocs Bar T-Shirt is a shirt that commemorates the Crocs Bar from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
- The Vivisection T-Shirt that displays the game board logo that could be found advertised in various places in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
- The Emotion 98.3 T-Shirt was added to GTA Online, although glitches had unlocked it for some players previously, it is now officially available.
- The J-Lager beer hat was added as it was unobtainable during the Independence Day Update, but found by a select few that managed to glitch it.
Special Crate Drop Content by Date:
- December 18 - Statue of Happiness T-Shirt
- December 19 - Pißwasser Beer Hat & USA Boopers Hat
- December 20 - Base 5 T-Shirt
- December 21 - Bobo T-Shirt
- December 22 - Bitch'n' Dog Food T-Shirt
- December 23 - Crocs Bar T-Shirt
- December 24 - Vivisection T-Shirt
- December 25 - Supa Wet Beer Hat
- December 26 - Please Stop Me Mask
- December 27 - K-Rose T-Shirt
- December 28 - Flash FM T-Shirt
- December 29 - Emotion 98.3 T-Shirt
- December 30 - Fever 105 T-Shirt
- December 31 - Patriot & J-Lager Beer Hats
- January 01 - Victory Fist T-Shirt
- January 02 - K-DST T-Shirt
- January 03 - Benedict Beer Hat
- January 04 - Bounce FM T-Shirt
- January 05 - Homies Sharp T-Shirt
Rockstar's Extended Special Crate Drops:
(Due to the PSN and Xbox LIVE being hacked by the Lizard Squad, many players were left unable to obtain special crate drops. Rockstar extended crate drops for the days in which connection issues were numerous.)
- January 09 - Vivisection T-Shirt
- January 10 - Supa Wet & Blarney's Beer Hat
- January 11 - "Please Stop Me" Mask
|Homing Launcher||A Rocket launcher based on the SA-7 Grail and the FIM-92 Stinger.|
|Proximity Mines||Thrown weapon that explodes when a person/vehicle approaches.|
|Snowballs||Special weapon available only during the season holiday. No longer available as of January 1, 2015.|
|Firework Launcher||Initially released with the Independence Day Special. Temporarily available again. Free on December 25, 2014 and January 1, 2015.|
|Vapid Slamvan||Pick-up version of the Slamvan from TLAD.|
|Bravado Rat-Truck||Clean variant of the Rat-Loader.|
|Dewbauchee Massacro (Racecar)||Racecar variant of the Massacro.|
|Dinka Jester (Racecar)||Racecar variant of the Jester.|
One-hundred-and-sixty clothing options have been made available (81 male clothing, and 79 female clothing). Items consist of hats, masks, pajamas, shirts, pants, shoes, and scarves.
The patch notes indicated that logging in on Christmas Day will reward the player with an unspecified gift, while logging in on Christmas eve, New Years eve and New Years day will gift Firework Launchers and free ammo.
- "Players who log in on either the 24th December, 31st December, or the 1st January will be gifted a Firework Launcher with five rounds. The launcher will be permanently added to the player’s inventory. Players who already own the launcher will receive 5 rounds when logging in on each of the above days. The Christmas Day Gift will be available only to players who log in to play GTA Online on 25th Please note that this is only available from the Christmas Day Gift and cannot be purchased."
- ―Rockstar patch notes
The Christmas Gift comprised of:
- Exclusive Stocking Mask.
- Body Armor
- 3 x Proximity Mines
- 3 x Molotovs
- Firework Launcher + 5 rockets
- Carbine Rifle + 200 rounds
- Players can now purchase a 3rd property.
- Firework Launcher was available from 24th December until the 5th January.
- Deadzone and Acceleration sliders have been added to control settings.
- Five new parachute bags were added.
- A Christmas tree is added to all apartments and Legion Square.
- Snowballs added whilst Snowy weather is active. These can be gathered and stored by pressing D-pad Left when a player is unarmed. Nine Snowballs can be stored at a time and will disappear when swapping sessions or starting Jobs.
- Issues with trees and foliage not moving with the wind on PS4 and Xbox One renditions are fixed.
- The issue where adding Turbo upgrades to a vehicle made it slower is now fixed, along with many other bugs.
- The two newly added vehicles, the Vapid Slamvan and the Bravado Rat-Truck, which are vehicles from the 1930's-1950's, are a reference to Christmas specials It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story, which take place in that era.
- It is the first update to add a thrown weapon into the game.
- There was an unfortunate bug introduced in this patch where sometimes when the player held the button down to activate the Interaction Menu, instead of getting the interaction menu, the game would lag severely until the player died or left the session. This made usual tasks such as ordering a personal vehicle, switching to passive mode and starting an impromptu race, difficult and even impossible. This bug was not fixed in the subsequent 1.20/1.06/1.22 patch released a week later.
Title Update 1.19 (PS3/Xbox 360), 1.05 (PS4/Xbox One)
- New Features / Updates
- Players are now able to own a third property, allowing potential ownership of up to 30 cars and 9 bicycles.
- Deadzone and Acceleration sliders have been added to control Settings.
- First Person Mode Auto Level Camera on/off setting has been added to Settings.
- New Content
- Three new settings added:
- First Person Aim / Look Deadzone – This reduces right stick deadzone. A lower deadzone allows for the game to register player input sooner and in turn make aiming more responsive for players that require greater precision; the higher the setting, the faster the player is able to look around.
- First Person Aim / Look Acceleration – This controls how quickly speed is increased until the player reaches maximum turn speed; the lower the setting, the longer it takes for the player’s turn speed to reach maximum.
- First Person Auto Level Camera on/off setting – This gives the player complete control over where they’re looking at all times. With the option on, if a player is looking down and moving forward then the camera will pan up so that the player can see in front of them. With the option off, then the player would remain looking at the ground when moving forward.
- Four new vehicles have been added to Southern San Andreas Super Autos: Bravado Rat-Truck, Vapid Slamvan, Dinka Jester (Racecar Livery) and Dewbauchee Massacro (Racecar Livery).
- To obtain these vehicles in Story Mode:
- PS3 / Xbox 360: These vehicles can be obtained from the Special Vehicle List when in a player-owned garage.
- PS4 / Xbox One: These vehicles can be purchased online from San Andreas Super Autos.
- Two new weapons have been added to Ammu-Nation in GTA Online (Not supported in the Shooting Range): Homing Launcher (‘Fire and Forget’) and Proximity Mine.
- To obtain these weapons in Story Mode:
- PS3 / Xbox 360: Weapons are deposited direct to the character’s weapon wheel with a full clip of ammo.
- PS4 / Xbox One: Weapons will unlock and be available for purchase from Ammu-Nation after passing certain missions in Story Mode.
- 30 new tattoos have been added to all Tattoo Parlours in GTA Online.
- Five new Kit items have been added in GTA Online: Black Combat Chute Bag, Charcoal Combat Chute Bag, Forest Combat Chute Bag, Gray Combat Chute Bag and Tan Combat Chute Bag.
- Players who log in on either the 24th December, 31st December, or the 1st January will be gifted a Firework Launcher with five rounds. The launcher will be permanently added to the player’s inventory. Players who already own the launcher will receive 5 rounds when logging in on each of the above days.
- The Christmas Day Gift will be available only to players who log in to play GTA Online on 25th Please note that this is only available from the Christmas Day Gift and cannot be purchased.
- Second Chance Event Items
- Players who missed out on getting T-Shirts and Beer Hats in Events this year will be given a second chance to try and get them, as well as a few new items with a new special crate dropping each day over the holiday period.
- Festive Period (Time-limited content)
- Christmas Tree added to Legion Square.
- Christmas Trees added to all Apartments.
- Please note that the weather option will be removed from Job lobbies during Snowy Weather.
- Snowballs added whilst Snowy weather is active. These can be gathered and stored by pressing D-pad Left when a player is unarmed. Nine Snowballs can be stored at a time and will melt and disappear when swapping sessions or starting Jobs.
- The Firework Launcher has been added back to Ammu-Nation for the festive season. This item will be available to purchase from the 24th December until the 5th Fireworks will now be more festive than previous fireworks.
- 90+ new Festive Surprise themed items of clothing have been added for male and female characters to all clothes stores. All of last year’s Holiday Gifts clothing will also be available during the Festive Surprise. All time-limited clothing added for the Festive Surprise period is free to purchase.
- Five new Festive Surprise themed masks have been added to Vespucci Movie Masks for male and female characters: Elf (3 variants), Gingerbread Man and Penguin.
- Generic / Miscellaneous fixes – Story Mode – PS4 / Xbox One
- Fixed an issue where trees were not responding to wind and weather
- Fixed an issue where one of the Peyote plants is resetting after being picked up.
- Fixed an issue where Lester’s first assassination mission does not affect the Stock Market correctly.
- Fixed an issue where Michael’s drinking animation could be seen occurring incorrectly if he answered his phone mid-drink.
- Generic / Miscellaneous fixes – GTA Online – PS4 / Xbox One
- Fixed multiple issues to allow improved matchmaking and connectivity speeds.
- Fixed an issue where players who left their character wearing masks when migrating were unable to remove them when attempting to update their character’s features.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to make their vehicle appear to hover after exiting a Mod Shop.
- Fixed an issue where character faces would flicker on the D-pad down player list.
- Fixed a number of map holes / escapes.
- Fixed an issue where players were seeing large amounts of ‘Timed Out’ errors after migrating their accounts.
- Fixed an issue where some Collector’s Edition items were not transferring properly / available for free after migration.
- Fixed an issue where BMX physics had changed, creating issues with Races and stunting.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to lose player control for a period of time when selecting to host a Race from the pause menu while On Call.
- Fixed an issue where player character faces could age rapidly after several hours of playing.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to become stuck on ‘Launching Session’ when starting a LTS match.
- Fixed an issue where players could hang when transitioning to a game corona.
- Fixed an issue where the Flight Suit mask could obscure the player character’s face in the Character Creator after transferring to PS4 / Xbox One from PS3 / Xbox 360.
- Fixed an issue where Leaderboards could flicker when being viewed.
- Fixed issue where players could hang when a lobby Host attempted to launch ‘Meth’d Up’.
- Fixed an issue where adding Turbo upgrades to a vehicle could make it slower.
- Fixed an issue where player characters could be seen putting on Top Hats instead of a Helmet when on a Motorbike.
- Fixed an issue where some hairstyles could become unavailable after transferring a character.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to use the ‘Online Event’ button during the initial boot screen.
- Fixed a small issue where a player’s character could pop slightly after completing a Parachuting Race.