Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers.
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Francis: "Let me put it like this: If a guy makes a mistake, should that ruin his life? People don't understand how life is. Life is like a bowl of fruit slowly rotting in a hot kitchen.."
- Niko: "Hey, I don't give a fuck about life lessons, friend. What do you want?"
- ― Francis McReary and Niko Bellic
Francis tells Niko that a lawyer, Tom Goldberg, has evidence for a case against him for corruption. Francis wants the dirt he has on himself and for Goldberg to be gotten rid of, but Goldberg has hired bodyguards and rides in limos which make a "normal assault" impossible. Thus, Francis wants Niko to eliminate Goldberg by applying for the firm through an interview.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the reception.
- Follow the receptionist to Goldberg's office.
- Intimidate Goldberg.
- Retrieve the files.
- Kill Goldberg.
- Lose The Cops. (Only if the player kills Goldberg with a gun)
- Take the files to Francis.
Head over to a TW@ Internet Café and log on to a terminal. Use the Internet to find the ad for Goldberg's lawyer firm. The player also can check his e-mail and he will see an e-mail from Francis with a direct link to the firm's website. When on the website, the player may optionally spend some time reading Niko's resume, then send it to the company. Niko will have the number to the company on his cell phone when he is done. Leave the cafe and now the player must wait until one of the lawyers call.
Soon the lawyers will call for an appointment. Get a nice suit and smart shoes from Perseus or from the wardrobe at any safehouse if the player bought one already. Strangely enough, the mission won't start if Niko is wearing anything on his head at all (which includes glasses, hats and balaclavas). An hour or two before the appointment time, head over to Tom Goldberg's workplace (indicated on the map by). Enter without a weapon drawn and don't attack anyone. Walk to the receptionist's desk and she will call Goldberg to find out if he's available.
Follow the receptionist to Tom's office and watch the short cutscene. After that, listen to Goldberg talk and, when the player is ready, stand up. Be careful to not wait too long to stand up, because Goldberg eventually will react to Niko's strange behavior and non responsive attitude by calling security, which will make mission harder to complete. Take out any weapon and point it at Goldberg.
Pulling out a weapon without pointing it at Goldberg will elicit a variety of reactions from Goldberg, depending on the weapon used, including:
- Knife - Goldberg will ask Niko if he is interested in camping, and then ask if he got the knife from The Serrated Edge.
- Baseball Bat - Goldberg will mention baseball being a great American pastime and that the firm has a softball team and that they like to take group showers and "get sweaty together".
- Any gun - Goldberg will say that they are lawyers, and they do not need guns, also mentioning that "guns don't kill people, video games do".
- Molotov Cocktail - Goldberg will warn Niko that the office has a non-smoking policy, but tells him that it is fine if the smoke calms him down, and, after asking Niko if he has ADD, offers him a "mild amphetamine".
- Grenade - Goldberg will tell Niko that if the grenade goes off, he will be able to sue the person who sold it to him, suggesting a further discussion following the interview. Goldberg then suggests that they should let Modupe (the security guard) play with it for a while and "see what happens".
- Rocket Launcher - Goldberg will say that he has only seen such weapons on TV, and then mentions that holding one in a court will discourage anyone from arguing against him.
After he tells Niko where the files are, retrieve them and kill Goldberg.
The easier way to do this, is by using a Knife to stealth kill Goldberg, leaving the player with no wanted level. Slash his upper body to kill him. Then knife the window without curtains to break it. Jump out of it and steal a getaway car. Or the player can simply run out.
The hard way for the player is simply busting their way out with firepower. At any time during the interview, stand up and equip a weapon, and simply shoot him straight in the head. Grab the files left in the office. Once the receptionist comes in screaming, grab a Assault Rifle or a Carbine Rifle if the player has one. If not, a Shotgun is pretty good at times, but lacks long range ability. Move to the lobby - or the player can shoot out the window in the office and drop down (it's not far), bypassing the lobby entirely - he will just have to worry about losing his wanted level. If the player feels like shooting up the lobby, the guards will have covered the door to the office, and they are now swarming the area. A three star or a two star wanted level (it can change to a two-star level at rare occasions) will now appear. Shoot the guard at the top of the stairs and he will fall down in a very bloody way down those steps. The top door is locked, so the player will have to make his way two floors down to get out. Try not to shoot the cops, or else the NOOSE team and rarely the FIB will be involved and make the escape harder. Once outside, grab a fast vehicle and evade the cops. A fast car should be used since the cops have a lot of vehicles being deployed. A parked sport car, such as the Comet, makes everything a lot easier.
A safer, though potentially longer method is in using the nearby subway. Enter the tunnel by the law offices and board a train. It will take the player out of range and "lose" his wanted level.
If the player misses the interview for any reason, it will be rescheduled for six hours later.
Liberty Tree Newspaper
"A lawyer, Tom Goldberg, was murdered in his high security Algonquin office today. Mr. Goldberg was believed to be engaged in pursuing corruption charges against high ranking members of the LCPD along with several members of City Hall. Previously, Mr. Goldberg had been involved in cases against the mafia, class action suits against food companies and also won a case against the Strike Lite match company for failing to put a warning on their matches that the product could cause fire if used correctly. In a moment of hubris, he also unsuccessfully sued God for letting it rain on his parade. The killer gained entrance to the offices of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster, another partner in the firm, eulogized Mr. Goldberg in a press released, "Tom will be soroly missed by all the people he got off. I'll be taking over a lot of his cases, so hopefully I'll get a media profile as big as his and eventually run for political office myself.""
Weazel News Newspaper
"So-called civil rights activist, Tom Goldberg, was the victim of a gruesome murder facilitated by laws he pushed for as a partner in the law firm Goldberg, Ligner and Shyster. The firm is famous for trying to stand up for so-called civil rights, weak on terror, wooly on immigration and far too Draconian on gun control. Mayor Julio Ochoa's agenda is not giving Liberty City the protection it needs in this climate of anarchy."
Weazel News (Radio)
"Police say lawyer Tom Goldberg was killed in his Algonquin office today. Officials are investigating all of the recent cases he had been working on to look for leads. He was an activist against the government, the police department and corporate corruption, so suspects are inumerable.
Public Liberty Online Newspaper
"With the murder of heroic attorney, Tom Goldberg, a blow has been struck to the heart of the first amendment and freedom fighters everywhere. A moment of silence was called in the blogosphere as Mr. Goldberg stood for the freedom of speech and the rights of the little man to slander people anonymously online with no repercussions. He was in favor of immigration and proposed much tighter gun control. No wonder so few conservatives are mourning. He stood up to corporate America and the links between big business and government."
- Tom Goldberg - Killed by Niko for giving Francis McReary potential legal trouble.
- Karen (optional) - Can be killed by Niko, though this does not affect the storyline.
- Modupe (optional) - Can be killed by Niko, though this does not affect the storyline.
|"Guns don't kill people, video games do"|
- One of Tom Goldberg's lines in the mission - "Guns don't kill people, video games do", used if the player draws a weapon during the interview, but does not point it at Goldberg - is a take on Florida lawyer Jack Thompson, who was infamous for campaigning against violent video games (Including the Grand Theft Auto series) and blaming the video game developers for the actions of those playing the games. In fact, Thompson filed a complaint against Take-Two Interactive and threatened that he would "take necessary and proper means to stop release of the game" if the persona of Tom Goldberg was not changed by the game's release. Nothing was changed but Jack Thompson never followed through.
- In the beta, this mission was named Small Fish in Big Pond and the player was able to go to Goldberg's office and kill him even without going to the internet cafe and submitting a resume.
- When the player shoot the guard at the top of the stairs, he will roll down and use the Wilhelm Scream.
- The second part of this mission takes place around the same time as TLAD mission "This Shit's Cursed", as a news story on the radio speaks of Tom Goldberg's death afterwards. Which is also in the same timeline as Chinese Takeout despite the fact that TBoGT storyline and events do not happen until after the bank mission. Although the player could do this mission after Three Leaf Clover, which would make more sense to the aforementioned missions.
- Before patch 1.4, in his resume, Niko writes that he went to Bullworth Academy in England, which was a reference to the game Bully. After the patch is was changed to Bulford Academy.
- Niko's resume also subtly refers to the work he has been doing in Liberty City, citing his work in "manslaughter, homicide, drug dealing, extortion, racketeering, and grand theft auto", as well as the work he did before arriving in America, with "drafted immigration documentation, and accelerated customs procedures for clients" and "working in war-torn areas to assist those most badly affected". It also mentions his employers, as "Dealing with emerging markets in the West Indies. Particularly Jamaica and Puerto Rico". It even mentions some of the basic abilities Niko demonstrates, with "Shooting, boxing, running, swimming to a professional level".
- In the first cutscene of this mission, Francis will tell Niko to get a suit for the Interview. He will still say this even if Niko is already wearing one.
- If the player blocks Karen from entering the double doors, by standing against them, she will keep walking against them for about 3-5 real life minutes, then despawn, and respawn right outside the office where the interview would be held.