|For another item with a similar name, see Flare.|
- "Use to signal distress or drunken excitement. Warning: pointing directly at individuals may cause spontaneous combustion. Part of Heists."
- — Social Club Description
The Flare Gun appears to be based on the Orion Brand Flare Gun with some inspiration from the British Very Pistol from World War I. Its base colour is red and fires red flares, similar to common flare guns in real-life.
The Flare Gun has a single-shot capacity similar to that of the Grenade Launcher from Episodes from Liberty City. It can burn pedestrians and enemies, like the Molotov Cocktail, though only with direct hit or the target stepping on the burning flare. A well placed flare can cause vehicles to explode if the flare is shot near the tire, as the flare would ignite the tire.
The color of the flare is affected by different tints the player puts on the weapon. In the description below, the term capsule refers to the bright cyclical object which emits the smoke after the flare has been fired.
|Rounds & magazine||GTA V||GTA Online (Unlock)|
|Rounds (1)||N/A||$100 (The Humane Labs Raid)|
|Black (red smoke, light red capsule)||N/A||Default|
|Army (light brown smoke, white capsule)||N/A||$5000|
|Green (light green smoke, white capsule)||N/A||$7500|
|Orange (orange smoke and capsule)||N/A|
|LSPD (dark blue smoke, white capsule)||N/A||$5750|
|Pink (pink smoke, bright pink capsule)||N/A||$7500|
|Gold (gold smoke, bright gold capsule)||N/A||$10000|
|Platinum (grey smoke, white capsule)||N/A||$12500|
The various colors change the effectiveness of the flares, as some are brighter than others. For example, the army, green, LSPD and platinum tints have much darker smoke than the others at night, meaning that it is harder to see the smoke from the flare from a distance. The pink flare is arguably the brightest colour, followed by the orange, gold and default tints.
- The Flare Gun's weapon icon and render was originally found in files for The San Andreas Flight School Update.
- Trevor Philips mentions that he shot a flare from a flare gun into a persons eye shortly after meeting Michael Townley for the first time.
- The Manhunt series also features a Flare Gun, which, contrary to this one, is extremely lethal, but ammunition is very rare.