The Grand Theft Auto Wiki wants your help! Together we are building an encyclopedia and a wiki community based around the Grand Theft Auto series. You can edit and create articles on the Grand Theft Auto Wiki right now. If you haven't done so already, you may want to create an account.
New logo image proposition
A few days ago Olipro suggested chang the wiki logo to this image. While I am partial to the current one (because I made it :)) I do like this new version better. So in spirit of democracy I felt we should see how everybody feels about changing it. If you like the newer logo but have any suggestions on how to improve it please let them be know in your vote
Voting is over the logo has been changed.
- Thai420Talk to me! 16:55, 15 May 2007 (UTC) I like it but I think we could use a picture of Niko (if we can find a good one) in it somewhere to help connect it more to GTA IV
- Zaibatsu 16:46, 16 May 2007 (UTC) I have to say, I like the new logo better than the old one. But don't you think you should add a GTA IV screenshot to have every GTA 3D title covered? And it appears that this Wiki is all about San Andreas with the SA font. I think you should use another one but I don't know what the others think. And just one thing: The woman in the lower left-hand corner isn't that important to include it on a logo for a video game where much more important characters are in (add Tommy, Toni, Vic or Niko e.g.)
- Matthias 15:13, 17 June 2007 (UTC) It is much cleaner designed and looks far more professional.
- I'm technically biased of course since I made it, but I'd say it's definitely a nice improvement :P -- Olipro 17:42, 20 July 2007 (UTC)
I going to start getting rid of some templates that just clutter things up mainly Template:Tnavbar and the related templates and the templates made by Forerunner if nobody has any objections. Mostly they just connect to each other and not any real articles. Thai420Talk to me! 06:26, 16 May 2007 (UTC)
New Main Page
Ok I'm kinda bored with the main page so I decided to try making a new one. Please look at it here and let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions on how to improve it please let them be know in your vote.
- --Thai420Talk to me! 00:55, 31 July 2007 (UTC) I think the colors are easier on the eyes and hopefully the todo list will help us make better articles.
- angies (talk) 23:30, 3 September 2007 (UTC) I think it looks much nicer.. Also we have a new gaming main page template you are welcome to steal from at gamingstarter.wikia.com
- Ianlopez1115 11:08, 2 October 2007 (UTC) Looks like Wikipedia but the layout is much improved. Replace it!
- 184.108.40.206 22:07, 15 November 2007 (UTC) I like it! I just miss the list of games... Games:
Grand Theft Auto Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 Grand Theft Auto: London 1961 Grand Theft Auto 2
- The new background images inside the template look misplaced, better use a plain one. The new boxes look quite exactly like wikipedia:Main_Page, not bad, but also not too creative ;) --Matthias 13:57, 21 August 2007 (UTC)
The 2 logos are genial. --Droides 15:37, 9 October 2007 (UTC).
Gaming wiki chat this Sunday!
On Sunday October 14th there is going to be an IRC chat for gaming wikis at the #wikia-gaming channel. Contributors, admins, and foudners of all/all gaming-related wiki on Wikia are invited to discuss common issues that we might have, sharing our experiences, and helping each other out. The time of the chat will be:
Please help to spread the word, and hope to see you there!
-User:PanSola 16:31, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
Merge with Grand Theft Wiki
I am excited to share that GTW has agreed to come to Wikia and merge with gta.wikia.com to make Wikia's Grand Theft Auto wiki the largest and most comprehensive wiki! What this means for this wiki:
- Pages: All pages from GTW will be moved into this wiki. If there is a clash (a page from here has the same name as a page on there), then GTW's copy will be moved to be a subpage of a temporary merge page. The two communities will then make efforts to combine the two vast sets of information into one full GTA Wiki - the biggest and the best.
- Users: GTW's users will be attempted to be merged into Wikia's central user database (which goes across every Wikia wiki). If their username does not already exist on Wikia, it will be added and become your account. If you are currently an admin on gta.wikia.com you will continue to be one. All admins on GTW will also be given admin rights. It is our hope that these two communities of users bond together to form one larger more active community
- URL: www.grandtheftwiki.com will then point to gta.wikia.com so this wiki will get lots of new traffic
- I made an announcement on the German GTA Wikia Frontpage to support the upcoming merge process. --Matthias 21:06, 13 December 2007 (UTC)
From Grand Theft Wiki
Further to previous discussions about merging Grand Theft Wiki with en.gta.wiki.com, staff at Wikia have suggested the possibility of Wikia purchasing Grand Theft Wiki. This would mean that Wikia owns Grand Theft Wiki, and all our members would be merged into their central database. We would keep the domain name GrandTheftWiki.com, and keep the same content and structure and policies. The content and images of en.gta.wikia.com would be merged into this wiki. I'm wondering if the community here have any thoughts? Xenon (?) 16:52, 27 July 2007 (BST)
- I like the idea Xenon, WikiaGTA has a lot of good content on there site that would be good for here aswell... Plus... *Cough*You get cash out of this*Cough*. George 16:59, 27 July 2007 (BST)
- The idea is a good one, although I would prefer the layout and design of this site to be used. A-Dust 21:51, 27 July 2007 (BST)
- We would be able to keep this design and everything - just like Memory Alpha and WoWWiki which were both bought by Wikia. We lose some extensions and we are forced to have things like adverts though. Bear in mind that the existing staff structure would remain the same, just Wikia would own the site and earn the revenue from adverts and they would also promote it. An alternative is for us to just set up adverts ourselves and start heavily marketing GTW on its own, which is a possibility but requires some investment, particularly in time. Bear in mind no decision has been made, we're simply exploring avenues. Xenon (?) 00:56, 28 July 2007 (BST)
- From what's been mentioned on this page I completely agree with the merger. So long as it is definite that the domain, layout and everything else is kept. Promotion is something the wiki needs, and I'm sure Wikia can do a good job of that. As long as the adverts are not intrusive, and are well placed, Wikia should find this to be a profitable website, and with more contributing editors attracted, the site should grow to be a huge success. Chris 23:57, 28 July 2007 (BST)
I can now confirm that Grand Theft Wiki will be moving to Wikia and merging with the English GTA Wikia. The resulting merge will then take the domain name and appearance of Grand Theft Wiki, and there will be a collaborative effort to reorganise the site.
Pages: All pages from GTW will be moved into Wikia. If there is a clash (a page from here has the same name as a page on there), then GTW's copy will be moved to be a subpage of a temporary merge page. We will then make efforts to combine the two vast sets of information into one full GTA Wiki - the biggest and the best.
Users: GTW's users will be attempted to be merged into Wikia's central user database (which goes across every Wikia wiki). If your username does not already exist on Wikia, it will be added and become your account. If your username is the same as an existing username on Wikia, it will check the email addresses to see if it is the same person. If it is, then you will keep that Wikia account and all your existing edits will be under your name. If that is not your account, your username will be renamed to a temporary name, which you can use to login and edit. If you then notify us that you have an existing Wikia account under a different name, we can then merge the accounts at a later date. If you want to make sure this process goes quickly, you can tell us your existing Wikia username now, and we will rename your GTW account to match your Wikia one ASAP.
General: From the date of the transfer, Wikia will own Grand Theft Wiki, the domain names, and all the content. GTW will move to be hosted by Wikia, on their custom Wiki platform. Staff from GTW and the GTA Wikia will continue to be in charge of the wiki and operate it, but the central Wikia staff will have highest authority. All GTW's content will continue to be licensed under the GNU FDL.
The transfer will take place in late November 2007, and GTW will be uneditable for a brief period of time until the transfer is complete. However you should still be able to visit and read the Wiki without interruption. If you have any questions, please ask them here so they can be answered by more people. Thanks for your cooperation during this time - Xenon (?) 13:29, 21 November 2007 (UTC)