|Federal Republic of Germany
Bundesrepublik Deutschland (German)
|Motto: Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit (Unity, Justice and Freedom)|
|Establishment||3 October 1990 (German reunification)|
|EU accession||1 January 1958|
|-||estimate||80,219,695 (as of 2011)|
Germany (in German: Deutschland) is a country in Europe. Its capital and largest city is Berlin. The country uses the USK rating system to rate all Grand Theft Auto releases, with the majority of the series being rated USK 16+.
The country is located in western Europe. It is bordered by Netherlands to the northwest, Belgium, Luxembourg and France to the west, Switzerland to the southwest, Austria to the southeast, Czech Republic and Poland to the east and Denmark to the north.
Since Germany is quite strict on ratings due to concerns over violent video games, a number of the GTA games (since GTA III) have suffered cuts or edits. Some examples include: the removal of blood, pedestrians no longer dropping money when killed, no headshots, some missions removed, some weapons missing, or lack additional functionality.
References in Grand Theft Auto
- Hans Oberlander, a DJ in GTA San Andreas, is from Germany. He utters German phrases in between songs.
- Adolf Hitler is mentioned in cutscene of San Andreas mission Verdant Meadows, where Mike Toreno reads a history book and claims Hitler never killed himself.
- Hitler is mentioned again in San Andreas on the radio station WCTR on the "I Say/You Say", show, where Peyton Phillips says he's vegetarian.
- Kent Paul mentioned the German city Hamburg in the mission Vertical Bird, which he says, "You shouldn't be choking the gecko in the first place! Remember what happened at that gig in Hamburg?!"
- The Auto Bahn car dealership in GTA San Andreas gets its name from the Autobahn, Germany's freeway system. Its logo also features the German flag.
- The song "99 Luftballons", by German New Wave group Nena, is featured on Wave 103 and performed in their native language. The English version of the song is called "99 Red Balloons", which is where the collectibles in Vice City Stories got their name.
- The Fleisch Berg, a brewery in Flint County, translates from German as 'meat mountain'.
- The 3D Universe rendition of Admiral has a German background.
- Reni Wassulmaier, a DJ in Liberty City Stories and a character Vice City Stories, is from Munich, Germany.
- Karl Lagerfeld, the fashion designer from K109 The Studio, was born in Germany.
- The clothing brand Hinterland's name is German for 'outback'.
- There's a street in Little Italy, Algonquin called Ersatz Row. "Ersatz" is German for 'substitute'.
- The fictional beer brand Pißwasser is labeled "cheap German lager, for export only" and wasser is German for 'water'.
- Several pedestrians in GTA IV can be heard saying German phrases like "Scheiße!" (shit!), "Entschuldigung" (excuse me), "er hat eine Waffe" (he has a gun), "er will mich töten" (he wants to kill me), "was wollen Sie von mir?" (what do you want?), and "gehen Sie!" (go away!).
- The name of electronics company Meinmacht translates from German as "My power".
- Several automotive manufacturers are German:
- Ludendorff, a town in Grand Theft Auto V, is a German name.
- Mervin Eskuchen, a most wanted criminal living in Berchem, is most likely German.