Gerry is the middle child of the McReary family. Gerry was the leader of the Irish Mob, until he got arrested.
Gerald McReary was born in 1973 and he is the third son of Maureen McReary and Mr. McReary. He is the younger brother of Derrick and Francis, and the older brother to, Patrick and Kate, would be born during his childhood.
Gerry was always involved in family conflicts with his older brothers, and was also beaten by his father. At some point Gerry's father died and he became the leader of the McReary mob, as Derrick left for Ireland, and Francis joined the LCPD.
According to his little brother Patrick, Gerry has been married three times prior to 2008. Patrick also jokes that: "he's been married three times already and won't admit that he likes men".
Events of GTA IV
The Bank Heist
- "...and you. Nothing personal, but don't fuck with my family, or I will fuck with yours."
- ―Gerry threatens Niko
Jobs against the Ancelottis
Later after that mission, he calls Niko saying he has work. Niko comes over to visit a now sober (and less hostile) Gerry. His first mission involved Niko putting a Car Bomb under Anthony Spoleto's car then detonating it when he reaches a meeting between himself and the Albanians. Gerry then has Niko disguise himself as an Albanian; wearing the biker jacket he acquired. And wearing that outfit, assassinate Frankie Garone; the goal of these two missions are to damage the Ancelotti-Albanian relationship and create tensions.
Imprisonment and Ancelotti's Daughter's Kidnapping
Sometime before the events of Derrick or Francis McReary's funeral after one of them is killed, Gerry is arrested for racketeering offenses and is incarcerated in the Alderney State Correctional Facility. Packie mentions that the "charges won't stick", but this is contradicted as there was more evidence against Gerry than they had believed. After the funeral, he has Niko visit the prison to tell him to kidnap Gracie Ancelotti in order retrieve the Diamonds, which were stolen by Luis Lopez, after breaking up the museum deal (he then needs to take a picture of her with his Whiz mobile phone.) Afterwards, Gerry has Niko transfer Gracie from one safehouse to another because Luis and Tony found her.
Then, he gives Niko his final mission. This mission has Niko Bellic and Packie McReary swap Gracie for the Diamonds held by Luis Lopez and Anthony Prince. At the exchange, Gracie is successfully returned; unfortunately, Ray Bulgarin and his men disrupt the deal. Luis, Tony and Gracie escape the scene and the guy who chased him. Unfortunately, one of his men stole the Diamonds; when Niko and Packie cornered him after taking out the others, he threw the Diamonds in a truck; Packie and Niko killed him and the remainders, thus ending Gerald McReary's role in the story. Gerry remained in prison, bidding a final farewell to Niko stating he will be in prison for a long time (potentially up to fifty years). He tells Niko to watch over his family.
Gerry appears to have a violent temper. During Waste Not Want Knots Packie dares Gordon to criticize the McReary stories to Gerry's face; in the ending cutscene for Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend Packie confesses to Niko that he's still afraid of Gerry's reaction to the failure of the deal, despite his brother being in prison. Gerry also threatens Niko during their first encounter, though he later mellows and becomes more trusting of Niko.
LCPD Database record
|Place of Birth:||Dukes, Liberty City|
- GTA IV
- Three Leaf Clover
- Actions Speak Louder than Words (Boss)
- I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots, and Your Motorcycle (Boss)
- Undertaker (Post-mission phone call)
- I'll Take Her (Boss)
- She's a Keeper (Boss)
- Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend (Boss)
- He is voiced by PJ Sosko, who also provides voice acting for Walton Lowe, an outlaw and minor antagonist in Red Dead Redemption, another Rockstar game.
- Gerry is similar to Sweet Johnson from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as both are leaders of their respective gangs as well as protective of their siblings. They are also both incarcerated at some point (though Sweet was released, whilst Gerald is still imprisoned). Their gangs also use the color green as their gang color.
- He is the only McReary sibling to canonically survive.
- He is also the only sibling that never appears outside of cutscenes.
- It is unknown what happened to him during The Lost MC's destruction of the prison. Many inmates were killed by The Lost and by the prison guards, and Packie McReary will not comment on the attack, likely because of The Lost and Damned being written and finished after GTA IV. He will also continue spawning outside the Alderney State Correctional Facility after the attack (which takes place before That Special Someone), implying that he has been visiting Gerry.
- Though, Gerry could have also been kept inside of a building of the prison and was protected from the shootout.
- Despite his violent nature, any murders committed by Gerry have yet to be confirmed. However, it is likely that he killed the Albanian biker in the mission cutscene of I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots, and Your Motorcycle, as he is the one that openly displays the biker's body hidden in his refrigerator. During hangouts with Packie, Packie will also recount a story where Gerry returned home one night covered in blood, as if he had been rolling around in an abattoir (slaughterhouse). Packie assumes that Gerry killed someone that night, although he has never asked.
- Gerry is indirectly mentioned in Grand Theft Auto V, during The Paleto Score if Packie is chosen as the gunman. Packie will say he used to spot for his brother's scores in junior high. This would obviously be referring to Gerry as he is the McReary sibling that gets into the most trouble.