In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, there are six possible girlfriends for Carl, with two of them, Denise Robinson and Millie Perkins, becoming girlfriends through the storyline. Dating any of the six girlfriends is not required for 100% Completion with the exception of Millie Perkins who can be killed on the first date. If 100% completion is not a goal, simply the completion of the main storyline missions, it's possible to complete the game without dating anyone, since Millie's encounter is part of an optional mission strand, and Denise can be ignored after rescuing her.
Denise is first encountered during the mission Burning Desire for Frank Tenpenny, whilst Millie first appears during the mission Key To Her Heart in Las Venturas. The remaining four girlfriends are Michelle Cannes, Barbara Schternvart, Helena Wankstein and Katie Zhan, none of whom are tied to any specific mission; they are encountered at certain locations around San Andreas.
Michelle, Katie and Helena become available to date once Flint County, Whetstone and San Fierro are unlocked (although Helena is first encountered in Red County, which is accessible from the start of the game, she does not appear until the second region is unlocked). Barbara does not appear until Tierra Robada, Bone County and Las Venturas are unlocked. Michelle is the only "optional" girlfriend who is first encountered in an indoor (i.e. "Hidden Interiors") location; all the others are encountered outdoors.
One of three activities is possible when dating: a visit to a restaurant, bar, diner or fast food place; dancing at a nightclub; driving around. Each girlfriend has her own specific tastes as to all three activities, as well as Carl's physical appearance. After a certain number of successful dates (which varies per girlfriend) Carl may be invited back to her place for "coffee" (aka sex), and once relationship status is maxed, Carl will receive a gift from the girlfriend - a unique outfit to wear.
In order to maintain (and increase) relationship status, Carl must date his girlfriend regularly, otherwise the status will decrease. However, this does not apply if Carl remains outside the girlfriend's geographic area. For example, as long as Carl stays outside of Los Santos, he has no obligations towards Denise and his status with her will remain static so long as he doesn't reenter the city; once he does, he may need to date Denise at least once before leaving the city again in order to maintain his present status with her.
If one of your girlfriends is killed, they remain that way for the rest of the game, making it impossible to revive them without restarting.
|Denise Robinson||Denise is encountered during the mission Burning Desire and she lives a block away from Carl in Ganton, Los Santos.||Heather Alicia Simms|
|Millie Perkins||Millie is encountered during the mission Key to Her Heart and she lives in the Prickle Pine district of Las Venturas.||Orfeh|
|Helena Wankstein||Helena can first be found at the Ammu-Nation store in Blueberry, Red County and she lives on a farm in Flint County.||Bijou Phillips|
|Katie Zhan||Katie can first be found on the golf course near the Martial Arts gym and she lives in Paradiso, San Fierro||China Chow|
|Michelle Cannes||Michelle can first be found at the Driving School in Doherty, San Fierro and lives in Downtown, San Fierro.||Vanessa Aspillaga|
|Barbara Schternvart||Barbara can first be found at the police station in El Quebrados, Tierra Robada and she also lives in El Quebrados.||Danielle Lee Greaves|
- On rare occasions, while the player is dating a girlfriend, he can be spotted by another girlfriend as seen in this video.
- If the player collects all the oysters in the game, the various appearance demands Carl's girlfriends make are nullified, and "coffee" is offered after every successful date. In addition, should a girlfriend dump Carl, she can be found again at her original spawn location. Cheat codes, such as "helloladies" in the Windows version, can be used to boost Carl's sex appeal to maximum, having the same effect.
- Despite being introduced to Carl in a sequence titled First Date, Catalina is not considered a girlfriend, as none of her dates are optional (although she and Carl do share "coffee" of a sort).
- If Carl pulls up in front of a girlfriend's home and stays in his car, his girlfriend will automatically enter the vehicle. Although she will usually sit in the front passenger seat, she may occasionally get in the back instead.
- If you use enough cheat codes, girlfriends that you met outside the storyline will try to kill you, although this doesn't always happen. It is unkown if this happens on any system other than PlayStation 2.