Hacking is an activity that consists of breaking security codes to get information or access.
Interactive Hacking Minigames
The player connects their Mobile Phone to whatever device they are attempting to hack. An interface is presented and the player must navigate to their "external device".
There are multiple hacking minigames depending on the device being hacked:
- "Compromising global security one slip at a time"
- "Busting through the backdoor since 1998"
Non interactive, presumably just downloads the information.
Each of the above applications has a time limit to be successfully completed. Failure to complete each step within the allocated time will either result in failure or a return to the beginning of the process.
Traffic Light Control
In the Subtle approach of The Big Score, the player has to hack Los Santos Transport Traffic Control System to switch traffic lights for the Stockade drivers. The player also has to watch out for Merryweather, which also appears in the scene. It depends on the hacker how good the connection is, there is lag varying through none, 2 and 4 seconds.
VLSI Circuit Breaker 2.0
- "We DGAF about your PCB"
- "Selling your secrets since 1996"
Hackers are also employed as crew members in Story Mode Heists but there is no player controlled interaction of their role until the subtle option of The Big Score, when there is a unique hacking program that makes the player take control of traffic lights.
Notable Hacker Characters
Missions involving hacking
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto Online
- Chemical Extraction
- Chop Chop
- Hack and Dash
- Rich Men in Richman
- Stocks and Scares
- The Los Santos Connection
- VIP Work
- For the number sequence mini-game, it is beneficial to look for doubles (99, 33, etc.) or numbers ending or starting with 0 as these will be easier to look for among the shifting pairs. It is not necessary to wait until the full sequence of numbers is on the same row as the player can move the selection cursor to the edge to split among two rows.
- For the word "Brute Force" mini-game, the player can move the column selection left or right, however it is easier to solve the puzzle in order and let each column progress to the next automatically. If a letter is selected too early or too late the entire puzzle is reset and each column must be solved again.
- For the "Data Crack" mini-game, each moving bar will emit a droning sound that gradually changes when the center is near the optimal position to be selected. Upon missing one bar, that previous bar will be reset and is required to be set again.