The players are put into two teams. A team of cyclists and a team of truckers. Due to this mission only being playable with exactly four players, this game mode will always be contested 2v2.
The goal of the cyclists is to reach the finish line within five real-time minutes, the truckers' goal is to stop them. Cyclists will be given a head start at the beginning of the mission.
Truckers have unlimited lives, cyclists have one life each. All participants are unarmed, and are not allowed to use any vehicles other than the ones chosen, a Whippet Race Bike for the cyclists or a Hauler for the truckers.
The players cannot see each other on radar (except team friends), however, headlights from Truckers can be used as a significant indication of the truckers' whereabouts.
There are five Hasta La Vista missions in Grand Theft Auto Online, each one at a different location. They are as follows:
- Hasta La Vista I: Starts at the north Side of the Los Santos Storm Drain, finish line is on the South side.
- Hasta La Vista II: Starts at the Vinewood Sign, finish line is by the Arcadius Business Center in Downtown Los Santos.
- Hasta La Vista III: Starts by the run-down Xero gas station on the Route 68 approach, finish line is at the RON gas station on Route 68.
- Hasta La Vista IV: Starts on the Great Ocean Highway by the Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness, finish line is at the tunnel underneath Fort Zancudo.
- Hasta La Vista V: Starts on the west side of La Puerta Freeway bridge, finish line is on the east side.
- Hasta La Vista is a play on the phrase "Hasta La Vista, baby" said by The Terminator. The game mode itself is a reference to the famous chase scene in Terminator 2 Judgement Day which involves a semi-truck as well as motorbikes. The chase also takes place in the Los Angeles River, an area that the Los Santos Storm Drain is based on.