- "Features armor-piercing rounds for heavy damage. Comes with laser scope as standard."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
The weapon is based on the high caliber Barrett M82 rifle, more specifically the M107, but with a stock reminiscent to the Accuracy International AX series. The in-game model appears to have ten round magazines. Unlike the M82 rifle family, the heavy sniper features an elevated picatinny rail instead of having it integrated into the handguard. The model has a large muzzle brake, which appears to be from the M82A3/ M107, slightly altered however. The stock is also altered slightly from that of the M82A3.
Contrary to the appearance of the ten round magazine on the model, magazines have a capacity of six rounds (as opposed to ten for the standard sniper rifle), but with a higher rate of fire (although the fire rate is much slower than the Combat Sniper from the previous games). Thanks to the employment of .50 BMG cartridges, the heavy sniper is capable of very high damage per round, and is able to one-hit kill players in the chest up to rank 99. The Heavy Sniper is also able to do heavy damage to vehicles, being able to destroy the tail rotor of a helicopter in two shots. Its power accurately represents its real life counterpart, this rifle is an Anti-material rifle rather than the usual Anti-personnel rifles, however, the effective fire range appears to be reduced, since the real life counterpart has an effective firing range of 1,800 metres.
The Heavy Sniper has the second highest damage of any bullet weapon, only outclassed by the Marksman Pistol. However, the Pump Action Shotgun and the Sawn-off Shotgun are capable of dealing more damage assuming all pellets of a shot hit the target.
|Rate of fire
(Rounds per minute)
(Time taken to reload)
|Damage per shot||Effective range|
|This article or section contains insufficient information and is considered as a Stub. You can help GTA Wiki by |
|Rounds & magazine||GTA V||GTA Online (Unlock)|
|Rounds (12)||$29||(Rank 90)|
|Green (Collector's and Enhanced Edition)||$7500|
|Orange (Collector's and Enhanced Edition)|
|Pink (Collector's and Enhanced Edition)||$7500|
|Gold (Collector's and Enhanced Edition)||$10000|
|Platinum (Collector's and Enhanced Edition)||$12500|
- The Heavy Sniper appears in Max Payne 3, another Rockstar game.
- Due to an oversight, the sound of bolt being cycled can be heard after every shot, despite the weapon being semi-automatic. This is not heard when firing without aiming while in third person or first person, however. This is most likely due to re-used assets.
- The Heavy Sniper with advanced scope used by Franklin in Three's Company has a much higher scope magnification, allowing the player to take accurate shots at the IAA agents.
- If Franklin replaces the advanced scope by a standard scope after the mission, he will still have to pay the advanced scope's price should he choose to re-equip it.
- According to the text on the weapon, the Heavy Sniper is property of the United States Government. Other weapons also share the same decals.
- Oddly, the HUD incorrectly shows the scope's position. The in-game model places the scope at the start of the rail, just over the magazine. This has been fixed in later patches and in the enhanced versions of the game, though.
- Remote Sniper - Stationary, extra long range variant.