A custom namespace is an extra community-specific namespace beyond the standard namespaces that exist on every wikia. Custom namespaces allow communities to divide their content into extra areas with unique, topic-themed titles and technical setups.
Custom namespaces can only be added by Wikia Staff.
What restrictions are there on namespace creation?
- There must be a consensus on your wikia for the creation of the namespace.
- The namespace must not be the same as any of the names in the interwiki map.
- There cannot be any pages that match the custom namespace name before it is created. This means you can't have any pages (including redirects) with a title of the form "Custom namespace name:Pagetitle". Any such pages would become inaccessible after the namespace addition.
- Every namespace will have a talk namespace associated with it. This will usually be at "Custom namespace name talk:" unless you request otherwise.
How do I request a custom namespace?
Please decide on the following for your custom namespace:
- Should the new namespace be visible in search results by default?
- Unless you have an unusual wikia setup, this answer would usually be "yes".
- Users can still search the namespace using the checkboxes, this choice is only about if the checkbox is checked by default.
- Should the new namespace have subpages?
- By default, we enable subpages for all new namespaces unless told not to. Please inform us if you have unique/specific intentions for the namespace.
- What should the talk namespace be called?
- If you request "Example", the talk pages will be "Example talk"
- This is often important in languages other than English.
Make your request using the Special:Contact/general form. To help us respond quickly, be sure to include all the answers to the above questions.
Note: if you want multiple custom namespaces (you can generally ask for a maximum of three), please request them together rather than in three separate requests.
Some common custom namespaces
While custom namespaces can be used to organize anything, there are some namespaces communities often request. While you are not limited to these, they illustrate some typical uses:
- Portal: A typical gaming namespace that functions as a point of access to similar information on the wikia.
- News: Wikias that want to publish official press releases about their topic from game creators, movie studios, etc., etc.,
- Gallery: For pages meant to solely house an image gallery about a wikia topic.
- Help:Namespace - for general information about what namespaces are and a list of the default namespaces wikias have.
- Help:Special pages - a guide about how some Special Pages can help you view and organize namespace pages.